Wahlert Catholic High School
|Wahlert Catholic High School|
|2005 Kane Street
Dubuque, Iowa, (Dubuque County), 52001-0538
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||Holy Family Catholic Schools|
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Dubuque|
|Asst. Principal||Cynthia Wagner|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue, Gold and White|
|Athletics conference||Mississippi Valley Conference|
|Team name||Golden Eagles|
|Athletic Director||Tom English|
Parish Members- $5,350 plus $200 Technology fee. Non-Parish Members- $6,575 plus $200 Technology fee.
During a meeting on June 17, 1955, Archbishop Leo Binz and the pastors of the Dubuque Catholic parishes came to the conclusion that new high school facilities were needed to replace the existing buildings. These facilities were deteriorating, and also would not meet the demands of the post-World War II baby boom. As a result, it was decided to build a new central high school. In July, another meeting was held to determine a location for the new school. Harry Wahlert, who owned the Dubuque Packing Company, donated $250,000 towards the construction of the school. Area parishes were also asked to contribute to the funding. The total cost of construction was approximately $3,250,000.
A parcel across from the intersection of Kane and Chaney Streets near the west end of Dubuque was selected as the site for the school. When construction was finished, it measured over 222,000 square feet (20,600 m2). In February 1959, the Archdiocese announced that the new school would be named in honor of Harry Wahlert. In August the school was officially opened, and the first classes began in September. In 2005, construction commenced on the Mazzuchelli expansion, which utilized the west wing of Wahlert and a new addition next to the school. This facility opened in 2006, and now serves as the central middle school for all Dubuque residents in the Holy Family Catholic Schools.
Wahlert Catholic High School is located at 2005 Kane Street on the east side of Dubuque, Iowa. The campus is 50 acres (200,000 m2) in size, with its main entrance near the corner of Kane Street and Chaney Road. The three-story building and its grounds accommodate a chapel, running track, tennis courts, soccer field, and baseball field. The Wahlert portion of the campus occupies the eastern wings of the main building, while Mazzuchelli Middle School occupies the far western wing.
The main gymnasium was renovated in early 2013.
Wahlert High School offers opportunities for participation in 19 interscholastic athletic activities. Many of these sports include freshman, sophomore, and junior varsity levels of competition. Sports currently offered to boys include football, cross country, basketball, wrestling, bowling, golf, tennis, track, soccer, baseball, and swimming (co-op with Dubuque Community Schools). Sports offered to girls include cross country, swimming, volleyball, basketball, bowling, golf, tennis, soccer, and softball. Wahlert's varsity athletic teams compete in the Mississippi Valley Conference.
The girls' volleyball team has won 17 state championships. The women's cross country program won the 3A state title in 2009, 2010 and 2011; the men also won the 3A state title 2003, 2004 and 2010. Women’s soccer won four state titles and the men won in 2008. Men's tennis teams have won the longest run of titles in state history (6): 2004 through 2009. Men's bowling won 1A state titles in 2010 and 2013.
- Bill Burbach - Former professional baseball player (New York Yankees)
- Kevin Kunnert - former NBA Basketball player and former University of Iowa player
- Kate Mulgrew - actress
- "Iowa Nonpublic School Enrollments 2007-2008". Retrieved January 24, 2008.
- Hersom, Terry (15 November 2013). "Dike-New Hartford downs Wolfpack in four". Dioux City Journal. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union Cross Country History". Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "2013 IHSAA Cross Country State Meet History and Stat Book". Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "IGHSAU Soccer History". Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Iowa High School Athletic Association Soccer Champions and Runner-ups". Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "2013 State Tennis Stat Book". Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Wahlert Catholic's Ehrlich to Join Clarke Bowling Program". 17 April 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Class 1A State Bowling Results". Iowa High School Athletic Association. 11 March 2913. Retrieved 26 November 2013.