||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Washed Out performing at Santos Party House in New York City in 2009
|Birth name||Ernest Greene|
|Born||1983 (age 29–30)
Perry, Georgia, U.S.
|Genres||Synthpop, chillwave, dream pop, trip hop, lo-fi|
|Labels||Sub Pop, Weird World, Mexican Summer, Mirror Universe|
Life and career
Washed Out was born Ernest Greene in 1983 in Perry, Georgia. After earning an undergraduate degree from the The University of Georgia, Greene obtained a Master of Library and Information Science degree but was unable to find a job as a librarian. Greene moved back in with his parents and started producing songs in his bedroom studio. And he worked with a local band "Bedroom" on recordings of dance music. He soon won the favor of a number of influential music bloggers after they found his music on his Myspace page. His first recordings have been described as "drowsy, distorted, dance pop-influenced tracks that brought to mind Neon Indian and Memory Cassette".
Washed Out's style has been identified with the chillwave movement. He has said hip hop influences the way he writes songs. The first two Washed Out EPs were released in August and September 2009. Washed Out made his debut New York City performance (his second live show ever) at Santos Party House. He has since performed at the 2010 Pitchfork Music Festival and his song "Feel it All Around" is featured in the opening sequence of the TV series Portlandia.
In April 2011 it was announced that he had been signed to Sub Pop. His debut album, Within and Without, was released on July 12, 2011. The album peaked twenty-six on the US Billboard 200 and eighty-nine on the UK Albums Chart.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Within and Without||26||6||6||36||80||89|
|Life of Leisure|
|"Feel It All Around"||2009||—||—||—||Life of Leisure|
|"Eyes Be Closed"||2011||—||46||—||Within and Without|
|"Amor Fati"||2011||—||—||—||Within and Without|
|"It All Feels Right"||2013||—||—||—||Paracosm|
- Adult Swim Singles Program - Released in 2010 by Williams Street Records (Contributed "You & I" [ft. Caroline Polachek]).
- Kitsuné Maison Compilation 9 - Released on April 20, 2010 (Contributed "Belong")
- Just Tell Me That You Want Me (Fleetwood Mac tribute album) - Released August 14, 2012 (Contributed "Straight Back")
- Portlandia theme song - Released in 2011 (Feel it all around)
- Reges, Margaret. "Washed Out". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Williams, Wyatt (March 23, 2010). "How Washed Out became the poster boy of electro's chillwave movement". Creative Loafing Atlanta. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- Oder, Norman (October 22, 2009). "LJ Talks to Ernest Greene, Unemployed LIS Grad, Breakout Musician". Library Journal. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "Washed Out - Biography". billboardbiz. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Rising: Washed Out". Pitchfork Media. September 1, 2009. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "Interview with Washed Out". Lifelounge. 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- By Pitchfork, July 20, 2010 (2010-07-20). "Articles: Photos: Pitchfork Music Festival 2010". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Cridlin, Jay (February 29, 2012). "SoundBytes: LMFAO, Washed Out, Dan Aykroyd and more". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "ATP Nightmare Before Christmas". Atpfestival.com. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Within and Without - Washed Out
- Steffen Hung (2011-07-08). "Washed Out - Within And Without". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Steffen Hung (2011-07-23). "Washed Out - Within And Without". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Washed Out - Within And Without". Chart Stats. 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "iTunes - Music - Within and Without (Bonus Track Version) by Washed Out". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Calum Marsh (2009-10-21). "Washed Out: High Times (Mirror Universe; 2009) | Record Reviews @". Cokemachineglow.com. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "iTunes - Music - Life of Leisure - EP by Washed Out". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "iTunes - Music - Eyes Be Closed (Remixes) - EP by Washed Out". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-07-05. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "iTunes - Music - Kitsuné Maison Compilation 9 (Petit Bateau Edition) by Various Artists". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2011-12-20.