January 6, 1958 |
Glen Cove, New York
|Field||Science fiction and Fantasy painting|
Wayne Douglas Barlowe (born January 6, 1958 in Glen Cove, New York) is an American science fiction and fantasy writer and painter. He has painted over 300 book and magazine covers and illustrations for many major book publishers, as well as Life magazine, Time, and Newsweek. His parents, Sy and Dorothea Barlowe, were both natural history artists.
He is well known for his realistic paintings of surreal alien (or fantastic) life. His Barlowe's Guides to extraterrestrials and to fantasy are his interpretations of specific creatures and beings from well-known science fiction and fantasy literature. His Inferno is an interpretation of the demonology contained in the Grimoire of Honorius.
He has two daughters, Cayley and Hillary.
- Design work for the Babylon 5 TV movie, Babylon 5: Thirdspace.
- Creature and character designs for Galaxy Quest, Titan A.E., Hellboy, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Avatar, and Pacific Rim.
- Preproduction drawings for Blade II.
- Created concept art for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, John Carter of Mars, Dante's Inferno, and The Hobbit.
- In 2004, his book Expedition was sold to the Discovery Channel for development into a two hour presentation. It was retitled Alien Planet and premiered May 14, 2005.
- Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials (1979)
- Expedition: Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV (1990)
- An Alphabet of Dinosaurs written by Dr. Peter Dodson, illustrated by Barlowe (1995)
- The Alien Life of Wayne Barlowe (1995)
- Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy (1996)
- Barlowe's Inferno (1998)
- Brushfire: Illuminations from the Inferno (2001)
- God's Demon, a novel (2007)
- The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure (2009)
- Official website
- Wayne Douglas Barlowe at the Internet Movie Database
- Alien Planet at the Internet Movie Database
- Wayne Barlowe at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Wayne Barlowe - Surreal Art Collective
- Alien Planet at DiscoveryChannel.com