We All Go Back to Where We Belong
|"We All Go Back to Where We Belong"|
|Single by R.E.M.|
|from the album Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982–2011|
|Released||October 18, 2011|
|Recorded||July 2011, John Keane Studios, Athens, Georgia, United States|
|Genre||Alternative rock, folk rock|
|Writer(s)||Peter Buck, Mike Mills, and Michael Stipe|
|Producer(s)||Jacknife Lee and R.E.M.|
|R.E.M. singles chronology|
"We All Go Back to Where We Belong" is the final single from American alternative rock band R.E.M., released in 2011. The song is the lead single from the band's final album, the career-spanning greatest hits compilation Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982–2011. The song was made available over the Internet on October 17, 2011.
The song was originally written by bassist Mike Mills and was recorded by the band in Athens, Georgia in July 2011, after the sessions for its final studio release, Collapse into Now. The band finished this song as well as the demos "A Month of Saturdays" and "Hallelujah" with producer Jacknife Lee initially with the intention of creating an album independently, after having fulfilled its contractual obligations to Warner Bros. Records, but decided to disband instead.
Two music videos with direction by Dominic J. DeJoseph and Michael Stipe—one starring Kirsten Dunst and the other with John Giorno. Stipe came up with the concept for the videos spontaneously while recording his vocal track and asked DeJoseph to make the videos in the style of Andy Warhol's Screen Tests. Stipe personally asked Dunst—his neighbor in New York City—to star in the video and did three takes with Dunst; the one that was chosen had him singing the song to her off-camera.
Early reviews of the song considered it a "low-key, string-drenched ballad" (Stereogum) and compared it to the pop styling of Burt Bacharach and R.E.M.'s 2001 album Reveal. Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone gave the song 3.5 out of five stars, writing that the "orchestral folk rock... suits their breakup perfectly." Exclaim!'s Alex Hudson had a similar sentiment, declaring the single "a nice kiss-off with lyrics that read a bit like a pensive goodbye message." Claire Suddath of Time also considers it a fitting final single, comparing it with the wistfulness of "Man on the Moon" and The Boston Herald's Jed Gottlieb has compared it favorably to R.E.M. ballads "Nightswimming" and "Perfect Circle".
Weekly sales chart performance
|Venezuela Pop Rock General (Record Report)||8|
- Peter Buck – guitar, writing, and production
- Mike Mills – bass guitar, background vocals, writing, and production
- Michael Stipe – vocals, writing, and production
- Technical personnel
- Dolan, Jon (2011-10-18). "We All Go Back to Where We Belong | Song Reviews". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow Publishers Company, LP. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Roffman, Michael (2011-10-17). "Check Out: R.E.M. – "We All Go Back To Where We Belong"". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Almås, Gry Blekastad; Bergmo, Tonje (2011-11-08). "R.E.M. ble rørt av Brun og Høyem" (in English, Norwegian). Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Fricke, David (2011-09-29). "Exclusive: Mike Mills on Why R.E.M. Are Calling It Quits". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow Publishers Company, LP. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- Perpetua, Matt (2011-07-08). "R.E.M. Begin Work on New Album". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow Publishers Company, LP. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Young, Alex (2011-10-27). "Video: R.E.M. – We All Go Back To Where We Belong (Kirsten Dunst Version)". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- Whalen, Jill (2011-11-02). "Area native continues work with R.E.M.". Standard-Speaker. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Travers, Peter (2011-11-09). "Off the Cuff: Kirsten Dunst on Vampires, 'The Bachelor' and R.E.M.". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow Publishers Company, LP. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Breihan, Tom (2011-10-18). "R.E.M. – "We All Go Back To Where We Belong"". Stereogum. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Perpetua, Matthew (2011-10-18). "Exclusive Stream: R.E.M.'s Final Single, 'We All Go Back to Where We Belong'". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow Publishers Company, LP. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Hudson, Alex (2011-10-18). "R.E.M. "We All Go Back to Where We Belong"". Exclaim!. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Suddath, Claire (2011-10-19). "R.E.M. Says Goodbye With Its Last Single". Time. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Gottlieb, Jed (2011-11-11). "R.E.M.'s final songs add to lasting legacy". The Boston Herald. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Pop Rock General". Record Report. 2012-03-01. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01.