July 1, 1952 |
New York City
|Occupation||Computer Security Expert|
|Schwartau's personal website|
He is known for his appearances at Defcon as the host of the popular game Hacker Jeopardy, and for his provocative and original ideas and has written more than a dozen works on security topics. In 2002, he was honored as a “Power Thinker” and one of the 50 most powerful people in networking by Network World. In 2008, he was voted one of the 25 Most Influential People in the Security Industry by Security Magazine.
His first non-fiction book, Information Warfare: Chaos on the Electronic Superhighway (1994, 1996, 1997) introduces the concepts of cyberterrorism to the public. Another of his books, "Cybershock" (2000, 2001), is a non-technical look at the Defcon conference, hackers in general, Phreaking and the importance of computer security. He wrote Time Based Security, outlining how to use time as a security metric. Pearl Harbor Dot Com is a novel about a terrorist cyberattack on the United States.
Schwartau is the author of Internet and Computer Ethics for Kids (and Parents and Teachers Without a Clue) (2001/2002). Dr. Fred Cohen, from all.net, described this book as “The best security book ever written”.
Schwartau is the Chairman of the Board of Mobile Active Defense, specializing in security and compliance for smartphones and tablets, and president and founder of The Security Awareness Company (formerly known as Interpact, Inc.), which develops security awareness programs for private and public organisations.
- Winn Schwartau (Author). "Time Based Security". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Pearl Harbor Dot Com". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Network World[dead link]
- "SC Magazine". Scmagazineus.com. 2007-12-01. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Industry Pioneers". Scmagazineus.com. 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Security Magazine". Security Magazine. 2008-12-01. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Internet Ethics For Kids". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Archived August 8, 2006 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2009-01-05
- Mobile Active Defense[dead link]
- "The Security Awareness Company". The Security Awareness Company. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Trusted Learning". Trusted Learning. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- [dead link]
- Videos of Winn Schwartau speaking.
- Biography at Schwartaus's web site
- Works by Winn Schwartau at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Winn Schwartau in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Free Downloads of Winn's articles and books.