Wolfgang Baur was born in a suburb of Chicago, and later attended the University of Illinois and then Cornell University for graduate studies in biochemistry and molecular biology to pursue an academic career in research. When he ran out of funding in 1991, Baur took a temporary job as assistant editor to Barbara Young at Dungeon magazine: "By the time my scholarship was reinstated, I didn't want to go back... I'd been writing for Dungeon Adventures and Iron Crown, but this was an opportunity to work in a field I loved."
Baur was involved in many projects at TSR as either designer or editor, including Dungeon and Dragon magazines, the Planescape (Planes of Law, Planes of Chaos), Al-Qadim (Secrets of the Lamp, Assassin Mountain), and Birthright settings (Warlock of the Stonecrowns), editing the Star*Drive setting, Dataware', and Doom of Daggerdale. Baur also worked for ICE on books such as Treasures of Middle-earth. Baur also worked on the Dark•Matter setting for the Alternity science fiction role-playing game.
Currently, he is the "Kobold-in-chief" for Open Design LLC, and editor-in-chief of its quarterly periodical Kobold Quarterly. He won the eighth annual Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming in 2008. Kobold Quarterly and Open Design won five ENnie Awards in 2009.
Baur maintains several RPG and writing related interests beyond his magazine. For instance, he is a member of the Alliterates (a group of local and national authors), and serves as a judge for the RPG Superstar competitions, as part of a three-judge panel of respected figures from the field.
Wolfgang has appeared in the following newspaper and magazine articles, websites and podcasts.
- Atomic Array: Wolfgang appeared on these episodes: 009 (Kobold Quarterly 007), 015 (Kobold Quarterly 008), and 021 (Kobold Quarterly 009).
- Open Design: Co-host with Ed Healy and Rone Barton. The official podcast for Wolfgang's publishing company.
- RPG Countdown: Wolfgang appeared on these episodes: 22 April 2009 (Kobold Quarterly 009), 6 November 2009 (Kobold Quarterly 011).
- Steven Kenson (November 1999). Dragon Magazine (265).
- Kenson, Stephen (November 1999). "ProFiles: Wolfgang Baur". Dragon (Renton, Washington: Wizards of the Coast) (#265): 28.
- "Grand Old Master of gaming recognized: Ed Greenwood". Colborne Chronicle. 2008-06-12. p. 8.
- "http://www.dianajonesaward.org/08winner.html". August, 2008.
- "RPGsuperstar". Paizo.
- Atomic Array. Atomic Array on Facebook.
- Kobold Quarterly 007 (Atomic Array 009). Retrieved 07 November 2008.
- Kobold Quarterly 008 (Atomic Array 015). Retrieved 30 January 2009.
- Kobold Quarterly 009 (Atomic Array 021). Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- Open Design Podcast. Open Design on Facebook.
- RPG Countdown. RPG Countdown on Facebook.
- RPG Countdown (22 April 2009). Retrieved 22 April 2009.
- RPG Countdown (06 November 2009). Retrieved 06 November 2009.
- Kobold Quarterly, Baur's print and PDF RPG magazine 
- Baur's website The Free City
- Wolfgang Baur at The Pen and Paper Database (archive)
- Interviews and Q&As