World Socialist Web Site
|World Socialist Web Site|
Type of site
|News and Analysis|
|Created by||International Committee of the Fourth International|
|Launched||February 14, 1998|
|35,921 (October 2014[update])|
The World Socialist Web Site (WSWS) is the online news and information center of the International Committee of the Fourth International (ICFI) and the most widely accessed international socialist news site in the world. The site publishes articles and analysis covering a range of topics and events around the world. A major portion of the site has been dedicated to the history of working class movements and the ICFI in particular.
The WSWS supports and helps campaign for the Socialist Equality Parties in elections. The site has no corporate sponsorship and runs no advertisements except for material from Mehring Books, the ICFI's publishing arm. Instead, it sustains itself through the donations of readers and supporters. The content is published in 19 different languages. David North serves as Chairman of the site's International Editorial Board.
The WSWS was launched on February 14, 1998, turning the Workers League printed newspaper The Bulletin into an online newspaper. WSWS articles are often collated by the Asian Tribune and AllAfrica.com regional news sites, and its articles are cited in newspapers in Africa, the Middle East and in Asia.
Some right-wing and libertarian newspapers in the US have referenced the World Socialist Web Site as an example of left-wing extremism,[need quotation to verify] and Glenn Beck, formerly of Fox News, cited the web site on numerous occasions while on air, calling it an example of "radical Islamists, communists, socialists", all working together.
- "This Year in Review: 1998". World Socialist Web Site. International Committee of the Fourth International. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "Wsws.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- "Socialist Organizations". Alexa.com.
- Statement of the World Socialist Web Site:
- "Lessons for All From the Tunisia Revolution," All Africa, 19 January 2011.
- Johnston, D. and Rogers, A., "Economic analysis clarifies how Chad benefits from oil," Oil and Gas Journal, 28 July 2008.
- "WikiLeaks exposes occupiers’ war crimes in Afghanistan," The Tehran Times, 28 July 2010.
- Ngurare, Elijah, "The Cowboy Justice Suffered By Saddam," All Africa, 12 January 2007.
- "Internationalist socialist solution ideal for Lanka," The Daily News, 5 November 2005.
- "Sri Lankan government to give evicted land to Chinese," New Indian Express, 29 September 2010.
- "Who favors unlimited government growth?," Las Vegas Review-Journal, 29 March 2006.
- Glenn Beck, Fox News on February 28, 2011
- World Socialist Web Site
- About the World Socialist Web Site
- World Socialist Web Site 15 Year Anniversary with timeline and year-by-year review
- World Socialist Website Daily Podcast
- Alexa.com ratings for socialist organizations
- WSWS on Alexa.com