|Type||Secondary school, Academy|
|DfE URN||137548 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Writhlington School is a secondary school for pupils aged 11–18 in Writhlington, Bath and North East Somerset, England. It has specialist status as a Business and Enterprise College and is the main secondary school in the Radstock area, providing further education to local children and some pupils who live outside the catchment area. The school became an academy in October 2011.
The school has 1,537 pupils in both compulsory and sixth form education. Around 70% of year 11 students apply to attend sixth form. The school is notable for its orchid project, which has won numerous awards including a gold medal at the 2009 Chelsea Flower Show. The school has also won awards in business with their enterprise companies. It is one of the few state schools to have its own non compulsory Combined Cadet Force (CCF) with over 150 students involved from years 9 to 13.
A turf-cutting ceremony was held at the start of a major rebuilding programme funded by the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) as part of the Building Schools for the Future programme. It is designed to increase the capacity of the school to 1,300+ students and was due for completion in January 2010. The school moved into the new building in April 2010. The British Council for School Environments, an education charity which pioneers and supports the creation of effective and efficient learning environments, declared the Writhlington School project as Winner of the Excellence in Design for Teaching and Learning: Secondary New Build and Winner of the Badge in Excellence in Design for Virtual Learning.
- Andy Robinson, ex Bath and England rugby union flanker, ex England and Scotland head coach, and current director of rugby for Bristol.
- "Writhlington School Census Date". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Writhlington School Ofsted Report: 28 February 2007". Writhlington School. Retrieved 25 July 2008.
- "WSBEorchids". WSBEorchids. Retrieved 25 July 2008.
- "Chelsea Flower Show 2009: Continuous Learning Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 23 May 2009.
- "Turf cutting marks start of exciting new era for Writhlington School". Press Release. Bath and North East Somerset Council. 24 July 2008. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Writhlington School - Major Milestone for Writhlington School". Bath and North East Somerset Council. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Building award wins for Writhlington School". Bath and North East Somerset Council. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "David Hempleman-Adams LVO OBE at menspeakers.co.uk ". Retrieved 11 April 2010.