||This article possibly contains original research. (July 2014)|
|Member of Parliament
for Bolton South East
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Dr Brian Iddon|
5 July 1963 |
|Relations||Azra Quershi (sister), Mazer Quershi (brother),Sakina Qureshi (mother), Hussain Qureshi (father)|
|Alma mater||Polytechnic of the South Bank, University College London|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament|
Yasmin Qureshi (born 5 July 1963) is a Pakistani-born British Labour Party politician and a barrister practicing criminal law. She was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Bolton South East in the May 2010 general election.
She attended the Polytechnic of the South Bank (later London South Bank University) and obtained a BA (Hons) Law degree and completed her Barrister-at-Law examinations at the Council of Legal Education. She obtained a Master of Laws at University College London.
At the age of 16, Qureshi joined the Labour Party and became active in local politics.
She stood, unsuccessfully, for Labour in the London constituency of Brent East in 2005. She has worked as a human rights advisor to the former London mayor Ken Livingstone and previously headed the criminal legal section of the UN Mission in Kosovo. Qureshi previously chaired the Human Rights and Civil Liberties Working Group of the Association of Muslim Lawyers and was President of the Pakistan Club (UK).
She was elected at the 2010 general election in the safe Labour seat of Bolton South East, inheriting a majority of 11,000. Qureshi, Rushanara Ali and Shabana Mahmood, elected at the same time, became Britain's first female Muslim MPs. Qureshi is also the first woman to be elected as the Member of Parliament for Bolton South East.
In May 2014, Qureshi opposed mandatory labelling of meat coming from animals killed by halal and kosher methods. She claimed halal slaughtering can be significantly less painful for animals than the more widespread method of stunning, saying "a myth is being perpetuated that somehow kosher and halal methods, carried out as they should be, are more painful and cause more suffering to the animal, but that is incorrect."
- "Yasmin Qureshi". Democracy Live. BBC News. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Adetunji, Jo; Tran, Mark (7 May 2010). "General election 2010: first female Muslim MPs elected". guarian.co.uk (Guardian News and Media). Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "The first Asian woman MP?". Evening Standard (London). 27 February 2004. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Yasmin Qureshi". The Telegraph.
- "The return of the Native?: Gujrati lass gears up for UK polls". Daily Times. 15 March 2004. Archived from the original on 23 October 2012.
- Britton, Paul (29 August 2007). "Yasmin aiming for double first". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Bienkov, Adam (14 May 2014). "MPs block compulsory halal meat labelling". politics.co.uk. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Right to supply tickets to events of national significance". TheyWorkForYou. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Yasmin Qureshi MP Official constituency website
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Bolton South East