Burnett has developed her own vocal training technique having started off teaching by learning Estill Voice Training techniques, and has worked with: Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol, Danny McNamara from Embrace, Murph from The Wombats, and The Saturdays.
She joined The X Factor in series 2 as Louis Walsh's vocal coach and coached Shayne Ward to success as the series winner. In 2005, as well as working with Louis with groups, and also coached Cowell and Sharon Osbourne's acts. She subsequently coached Leona Lewis in 2006. She was initially not rehired for the 2010 series, but then replaced the new coaches after they were sacked by Cowell, to coach his groups.
Burnett became the vocal coach on the first three series of Britain's Got Talent, and the vocal coach on America's Got Talent (Series 4 and 5). She coached Britain's Got Talent winner Paul Potts in 2007, and contestants Faryl Smith and Andrew Johnston in 2008. She also worked with Susan Boyle on I Dreamed A Dream - The Susan Boyle Story and also featured in the show. In Summer 2010, while working in Los Angeles on America's Got Talent, she started working with 10-year old singer, Jackie Evancho, and is credited as a vocal consultant on Evancho's first recordings for Sony Music.
Having worked on the BBC series Last Choir Standing, at the beginning of 2009, Burnett was asked by Andrew Lloyd Webber to work with him on the BBC TV show, Eurovision: Your Country Needs You, to select an artist to represent the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow. Lloyd-Webber was so impressed with Burnett's work with the singers on the show, that he asked her to work with the singers in Love Never Dies, his follow-up to Phantom of the Opera. Burnett later continued as vocal coach for the London show.
Burnett completed a second stint as vocal coach on the 2010 America's Got Talent where the show's grand finale featured two singers, Jackie Evancho and Michael Grimm. Yvie also worked on season 6 in 2011, which was again won by a singer, Landau Eugene Murphy.
When the BBC launched The Voice UK in January 2012, Yvie was hired to work behind the scenes with the singers for the "The Blind Auditions" and she was then asked to work on the live shows. Yvie was also twice seen later that year with Andrew Lloyd Webber. First, on ITV's Superstar show and second on the Canadian show Over the Rainbow on CBC.
In the show programme Chris Moyles credits Yvie and former X Factor Musical Director, Nigel Wright with introducing him to Andrew and convincing him to do the role having worked with him five and a half years previously on The X Factor: Battle of the Stars.
Yvie has just finished filming the initial rounds for The Voice UK Series 3 and will work on the live shows in Spring 2014. She has also been preparing singers for the new series of Big Reunion 2.
- Testimonials[dead link] Yvie Burnett
- Wyllie, Alice (30 November 2009). "Interview: Yvie Burnett, Voice Coach". Scotsman.com. ISSN 0307-5850. OCLC 614655655. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- Singing Teachers Worldwide Community[dead link]
- Voice coach sounds out the X Factor stars Times Online (subscription required)
- The transformation of Leona Lewis Times Online (subscription required)
- Simon Cowell sacks Scots X Factor voice coach Yvie Burnett from show Daily Record, 25 September 2010
- Connolly, Lucy (7 October 2010). "Cowell coach crash". The Sun.
- Young 'Talent' star gets secret coaching Digital Spy, 11 May 2008
- Daily Mail Reporter Meet Yvie Burnett, the X Factor guru who gave the Phantom his voice Mail Online, 5 March 2010
- Liner notes, Dream With Me, released 14 June 2011, Sony Music Entertainment.
- @yvieburnett / Twitter, 1 Oct 2012