Ángel Cabrera (academic)
Cabrera at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting of the New Champions in 2012
|6th President of George Mason University|
|Assumed office |
July 1, 2012
|Preceded by||Alan Merten|
|11th President of Thunderbird School of Global Management|
July 1, 2004 – June 30, 2012
|Born||August 5, 1967|
|Nationality||Spanish and American|
|Alma mater||Ph.D., MS, Georgia Institute of Technology|
MS, BS, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ángel Cabrera Izquierdo (born August 5, 1967) is the sixth President of George Mason University, the past President of Thunderbird School of Global Management, and the former dean of IE Business School. His scholarship includes work on learning, management and leadership.
Cabrera received his undergraduate and master's degree in telecommunications engineering at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, and earned his MS and Ph.D. in cognitive psychology from Georgia Institute of Technology as a Fulbright Scholar.
He joined the faculty of IE Business School in 1998 and was dean from 2000 to 2004. He was appointed President of Thunderbird School of Global Management in 2004 and President of George Mason University in 2012. He is the only Spaniard to have served as chief executive of an American institution of higher education.
The World Economic Forum named him a Global Leader for Tomorrow in 2002, a Young Global Leader in 2005 and chairman of the Global Agenda Council for promoting entrepreneurship in 2008. He was named a Henry Crown Fellow by the Aspen Institute in 2008 and a Great Immigrant by Carnegie Corporation in 2017. He is a member of the Inter-American Dialogue and the Council on Foreign Relations.
His paper with his wife, Elizabeth Cabrera, "Knowledge-sharing dilemmas" published in Organization Studies in 2002 has been cited more than 1,400 times. The paper presents a theory of why some people are more inclined than others to volunteer their expertise and ideas in shared repositories. The theory is based on the notion of social dilemmas in the provision of public goods.
In 2007 he chaired the committed that authored the Principles for Responsible Management Education, a United Nations platform promoting sustainability and corporate responsibility in business education.
Cabrera serves on the boards of the National Geographic Society, the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, the Northern Virginia Technology Council, and the Fundación Innovación Bankinter. He also serves on the advisory board of the Georgia Institute of Technology, which he chaired in 2011. He currently chairs the Virginia Council of Presidents and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities' Commission on International Initiatives. He has served on the boards of three public companies: eFunds, PetSmart and, currently, Inovio.
- "Ángel Cabrera." Marquis Who's Who Biographies. Accessed 2015-04-03 via LexisNexis.
- "Ángel Cabrera - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Izquierdo, Angel Cabrera. A functional analysis of categorization (1995). Georgia Institute of Technology. Doctoral dissertation.
- "Ofertas de empleo y bolsa de trabajo : Expansionyempleo.com". Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Board of Visitors Selects Dr. Ángel Cabrera as the Sixth President of George Mason University, Effective July 1, 2012 | University News | George Mason University". news.gmu.edu. Retrieved 2015-02-04.
- "The Global Leaders of Tomorrow (GLT) Community". The Global Leaders of Tomorrow (GLT) Community | World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "YGL Alumni Community". YGL Alumni Community | World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "The Global Agenda 2009" (PDF). World Economic Forum.
- "2008 Twelfth Knights Class". The Aspen Institute. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- York, Carnegie Corporation of New. "July Fourth Tribute Honors 38 Distinguished Immigrants | Carnegie Corporation of New York". Carnegie Corporation of New York. Retrieved 2018-01-30.
- "PRESS RELEASE: 10 Members Join the Inter-American Dialogue". us10.campaign-archive1.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Membership Roster". Council on Foreign Relations. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Cabrera, Angel; Cabrera, Elizabeth F. (2002-01-01). "Knowledge-sharing dilemmas". Organization studies. 23 (5): 687–710.
- "VP Biden To Deliver Commencement Speech At MDC". 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- elEconomista.es. "Ángel Cabrera, primer español rector de una universidad americana, doctor honoris causa por la UPM - elEconomista.es" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Meet College of Sciences Alumnus and George Mason University President Ángel Cabrera | College of Sciences | Georgia Institute of Technology | Atlanta, GA". cos.gatech.edu. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "eFunds Names Dr. Ángel Cabrera to Board of Directors". Marketwire. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "PetSmart Appoints Dr. Angel Cabrera to Board of Directors | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Inovio – Board of Directors with senior pharmaceutical expertise". Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Mason Welcomes Its Sixth President, Ángel Cabrera | George Mason University". Retrieved 2016-04-04.