From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Millennium:||2nd millennium BC|
Events and trends
- 1186 BC—End of the Nineteenth dynasty of Egypt, start of the Twentieth Dynasty.
- 1184 BC—April 24, the traditional date of the fall of Troy.
- 1182 BC—A desperate letter of Ammurapi, the last king of Ugarit, reporting the approaching fleet of the Peoples of the Sea. Shortly thereafter they destroyed both Ugarit and Alasiya (Cyprus).
- 1181 BC—Menestheus, legendary King of Athens and veteran of the Trojan War, dies after a reign of 23 years and is succeeded by his nephew Demophon, a son of Theseus. Other accounts place his death a decade earlier and during the Trojan War (see 1190s BC).
- c. 1180 BC—Invaders razed Hattusa causing the collapse of the Hittite Empire