12th Indiana Infantry Regiment (3 years)
|12th Regiment Indiana Infantry|
|Active||May 27, 1862, to June 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Richmond
Siege of Vicksburg
Siege of Jackson
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Dallas
Battle of New Hope Church
Battle of Allatoona
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Atlanta
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesborough
Sherman's March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
The 12th Indiana Infantry was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana May 27 through August 27, 1862, and mustered in August 17, 1862, for three year's service under the command of Colonel William H. Link.
The regiment was attached to Cruft's Brigade, Army of Kentucky, August 30. Attached to 2nd Brigade, District of Memphis, Tennessee, XIII Corps, to December 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, District of Memphis, XIII Corps, December 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, XVII Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to January 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, XVI Corps, to July 1863. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, XV Corps, to September 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, XV Corps, to June 1865.
The 12th Indiana Infantry mustered out of service after June 24, 1865. Veterans and recruits were transferred to the 48th Indiana Infantry and 59th Indiana Infantry.
The regiment lost a total of 295 men; 8 officers and 92 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 2 officers and 193 enlisted men due to disease.
- Colonel William H. Link - mortally wounded at the Battle of Richmond; died September 20, 1862
- Colonel Reuben Williams
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.
- Gage, Moses D. From Vicksburg to Raleigh; or, A Complete History of the Twelfth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and the Campaigns of Grant and Sherman, with an Outline of the Great Rebellion (Chicago, IL: Clarke & Co.), 1865.
- Hemphill, William S. Journal of the Kosciusko Guards, Company E, 12th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers (Warsaw, IN: M. Priser), 1993. [originally printed in 1904]
- Williams, Reuben. General Reub Williams's Memories of Civil War Times: Personal Reminiscences of Happenings That Took Place from 1861 to the Grand Review (Westminster, MD: Heritage Books), 2004. ISBN 0-7884-2517-X