1845 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1845 in art.
- February 7 – At the British Museum in London, a drunken visitor smashes the Portland Vase which takes months to repair. It has since been reconstructed three times.
- March – Honoré Daumier begins publishing the series of drawings Les Gens de justice ("The Men of Justice") in the satirical Paris magazine Le Charivari.
- Heinrich Hoffmann anonymously publishes Lustige Geschichten und drollige Bilder mit 15 schön kolorierten Tafeln für Kinder von 3–6 Jahren ("Funny Stories and Whimsical Pictures with 15 Beautifully Coloured Panels for Children Aged 3 to 6", later known as Struwwelpeter) in Germany.
- Brita Sofia Hesselius opens a photography studio in Karlstad, making her the first known Swedish female professional photographer.
- Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres – Louise de Broglie, Contesse d'Haussonville
- Jan August Hendrik Leys – Franz Floris se rendant a une fête
- Adolph Menzel – The Balcony Room (Das Balkonzimmer)
- Andrew Morton – The United Service
- Nicolaas Pieneman – Portrait of Jan Jacob Rochussen
- William Ranney – The Battle of Cowpens
- Pierre-Henri Révoil completed by Michel Philibert Genod – Pharamond lifted on a shield by the Franks
- John Mix Stanley – Buffalo Hunt on the Southwestern Prairies
- J. M. W. Turner – Sunrise with Sea Monsters
- July 4 – Edmonia Lewis, sculptor (died 1907), birthdate listed on her passport
- October 1 – Adolf Oberländer, caricaturist (died 1923)
- October 30 – Antonin Mercié, sculptor and painter (died 1916)
- undated - Alina Forsman, Finnish sculptor (died 1899)
- January 4 – Léopold Boilly, French painter (born 1761)
- January 5 – Robert Smirke, English painter (born 1753)
- April 20 – Thomas Phillips, English portrait and subject painter (born 1770)
- May 15 – Kapiton Zelentsov, Russian painter notable for his illustrations for books (born 1790)
- July 29 – François Joseph Bosio, French sculptor (born 1769)
- September 29 – John Scarlett Davis, English painter (born 1804)
- October 30 – Nicolas Toussaint Charlet, French designer and painter, especially of military subjects (born 1792)
- November 24 – Karl Wilhelm Wach, German painter (born 1787)
- date unknown