1871 Orán earthquake
|Date||9 October 1871|
|Depth||30 km (19 mi)|
|Areas affected||Salta, Argentina|
The 1871 Orán earthquake that took place in the Province of Salta, in the Republic of Argentina, on Tuesday, 9 October 1871 at 02:15. It registered a magnitude of 6.4 on the Richter magnitude scale. The earthquake was located at a depth of 30 kilometres (19 mi).
Damage and casualties
The destructive force of the 1871 Orán earthquake was measured at VIII on the Mercalli intensity scale. It completely destroyed the former city of Orán (now San Ramón de la Nueva Orán), towards the northern parts of the province of Salta. It caused 20 deaths as well as injuries.
- Dauer, Quinn (28 September 2012). "Natural Disasters and comparative state formation and nation-building: Earthquakes in Argentina and Chile (1822-1939)".
- Milne, John. "A catalogue of destructive earthquakes, A.D. 7 to A.D. 1899". Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Mañana día de acción de gracias por la protección del Señor y la Virgen del Milagro". Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "San Ramón de la Nueva Orán". Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "A 60 años del terremoto en Salta, seguimos sin estar preparados". 25 August 2008.