1947 BAA draft
|1947 BAA draft|
|Date(s)||July 1, 1947|
|First selection||Clifton McNeely, Pittsburgh Ironmen|
The 1947 BAA draft was the inaugural draft of the Basketball Association of America (BAA), which later became the National Basketball Association (NBA). The draft was held on July 1, 1947, before the 1947–48 season. In this draft, nine remaining BAA teams along with the Baltimore Bullets who joined the BAA from the American Basketball League, took turns selecting amateur U.S. college basketball players. In the first round of the draft, the teams select in reverse order of their win–loss record in the previous season, while the Bullets were assigned the tenth pick, the last pick of the first round. The Pittsburgh Ironmen and Toronto Huskies participated in this draft, but they folded before the season opened.
Draft selections and draftee career notes
The first selection of the draft, Clifton McNeely from Texas Wesleyan University, did not play in the BAA. Instead, McNeely opted for a high school coaching career in Texas. The fourth pick, Walt Dropo, also did not play in the BAA and opted for a professional baseball career instead, eventually playing 13 seasons in the Major League Baseball (MLB). The 7th and 10th pick, Jack Underman and Larry Killick, were also never played in the BAA. Three players from this draft, Harry Gallatin, Andy Phillip and Jim Pollard, have been inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
|^||Denotes player who has been inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|+||Denotes player who has been selected for at least one All-Star Game|
|#||Denotes player who never played in the NBA regular season or playoffs|
|1||1||McNeely, CliftonClifton McNeely#||–||Pittsburgh Ironmen||Texas Wesleyan|
|1||2||Selbo, GlenGlen Selbo||G/F||Toronto Huskies||Wisconsin|
|1||3||Ehlers, BulbsBulbs Ehlers||G/F||Boston Celtics||Purdue|
|1||4||Dropo, WaltWalt Dropo#||–||Providence Steamrollers||Connecticut|
|1||5||Holub, DickDick Holub||C||New York Knicks||Long Island|
|1||6||Crossin, ChinkChink Crossin||G||Philadelphia Warriors||Pennsylvania|
|1||7||Underman, JackJack Underman#||–||St. Louis Bombers||Ohio State|
|1||8||Huston, PaulPaul Huston||F||Chicago Stags||Ohio State|
|1||9||O'Keefe, DickDick O'Keefe||G/F||Washington Capitols||Santa Clara|
|1||10||Killick, LarryLarry Killick#||–||Baltimore Bullets||Vermont|
The following list includes other draft picks who have appeared in at least one BAA/NBA game.
Notable undrafted players
These players were not selected in the 1947 draft but played at least one game in the NBA.
|Barksdale, DonDon Barksdale^||F/C||UCLA (Sr.)|
- Cook, Bob (September 13, 2007). "Oden's injury a cruel blow for cursed Blazers". NBCSports.com. NBC Universal. Archived from the original on September 13, 2009. Retrieved September 11, 2009.
- Montville, Leigh (July 19, 1993). "What Ever Happened To...: Walt Dropo". Sports Illustrated. Time Inc. Retrieved September 10, 2009.
- "Walt Dropo Bio". baseball-reference.com. Archived from the original on 20 October 2009. Retrieved September 11, 2009.
- "Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Inductees". basketball-reference.com. Retrieved October 28, 2009.
- Diepenbrock, R.J. (December 29, 2003). "Clifton McNeely". amarillo.com. Amarillo Globe-News. Archived from the original on September 22, 2009. Retrieved September 19, 2009.