1988 Epsom Derby
|Location||Epsom Downs Racecourse|
|Date||1 June 1988|
|Owner||Aga Khan IV|
The 1988 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on Wednesday 1 June 1988. It was the 209th running of the Derby, and it was won by Kahyasi. The winner was ridden by Ray Cochrane and trained by Luca Cumani. The pre-race favourite Red Glow finished fourth.
- Sponsor: Ever Ready
- Winner's prize money: £296,500
- Going: Good
- Number of runners: 14
- Winner's time: 2m 33.84s
|1||Kahyasi||Ray Cochrane||Luca Cumani||11/1|
|2||1½||Glacial Storm||Michael Hills||Barry Hills||14/1|
|3||1½||Doyoun||Walter Swinburn||Michael Stoute||9/1|
|4||½||Red Glow||Pat Eddery||Geoff Wragg||5/2 fav|
|5||nk||Kefaah||John Reid||Luca Cumani||25/1|
|6||3||Sheriff's Star||Tony Ives||Lady Herries||18/1|
|7||hd||Unfuwain||Steve Cauthen||Dick Hern||9/2|
|8||6||Minster Son||Willie Carson||Dick Hern||6/1|
|9||½||Project Manager||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger (IRE)||66/1|
|10||2½||Al Mufti||Richard Hills||Harry Thomson Jones||14/1|
|11||1||Charmer||Paul Eddery||Dick Hern||11/1|
|12||Clifton Chapel||Billy Newnes||Steve Norton||100/1|
|13||Maksud||Michael Roberts||Robert Armstrong||200/1|
|14||Al Muhalhal||Paul D'Arcy||Harry Thomson Jones||500/1|
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. hd = head; nk = neck.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Kahyasi:
- Foaled: April 2, 1985, in Ireland
- Sire: Ile de Bourbon; Dam: Kadissya (Blushing Groom)
- Owner: HH Aga Khan IV
- Breeder: HH Aga Khan IV
- Rating in 1988 International Classifications: 126
Notable runs by the future Derby participants as two-year-olds in 1987.
- Glacial Storm – 1st Horris Hill Stakes
- Sheriff's Star – 2nd Futurity Stakes
- Unfuwain – 1st Haynes, Hanson and Clark Stakes
- Minster Son – 5th Horris Hill Stakes
- Project Manager – 1st Tyros Stakes, 4th National Stakes
- Clifton Chapel – 6th Prix Saint-Roman
The road to Epsom
Early-season appearances in 1988 and trial races prior to running in the Derby.
- Kahyasi – 1st Lingfield Derby Trial
- Glacial Storm – 2nd Sandown Classic Trial, 3rd Dante Stakes
- Doyoun – 1st Craven Stakes, 1st 2,000 Guineas
- Red Glow – 2nd Newmarket Stakes, 1st Dante Stakes
- Kefaah – 1st Feilden Stakes, 2nd Dante Stakes
- Sheriff's Star – 2nd Predominate Stakes
- Unfuwain – 1st Warren Stakes, 1st Chester Vase
- Minster Son – 1st Newmarket Stakes, 1st Predominate Stakes
- Project Manager – 1st Gowran Classic Trial, 6th Irish 2,000 Guineas, 1st Gallinule Stakes
- Al Mufti – 5th European Free Handicap, 3rd Predominate Stakes
- Charmer – 2nd European Free Handicap, 2nd 2,000 Guineas
- Clifton Chapel – 1st Dee Stakes
- Maksud – 3rd Sandown Classic Trial, 2nd Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Group 1 / Grade I victories after running in the Derby.
- Kahyasi – Irish Derby (1988)
- Sheriff's Star – Coronation Cup (1989), Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (1989)
- Minster Son – St. Leger (1988)
- Derby Days. Tempus. 2004. p. 121. ISBN 0-7524-3202-8.
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1988. Aesculus Press. 1988. p. 59. ISBN 0-9509338-8-0.