1993 San Diego Padres season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1993 San Diego Padres|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Joe McIlvaine, Randy Smith|
Cox Cable(Jerry Coleman, Ted Leitner, Bob Chandler)
(Rafael Munoz Oretga, Victor Villa Silvas)
|Local radio||KFMB (AM)
(Bob Chandler, Jerry Coleman, Ted Leitner)
(Mario Thomas Zapiain, Matias Santos, Eduardo Ortega)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Award winners
- 5 Farm system
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- October 8, 1992: Phil Stephenson was released by the Padres.
- October 26, 1992: Tony Fernández was traded by the Padres to the New York Mets for Wally Whitehurst, D. J. Dozier, and a player to be named later. The Mets completed the deal by sending Raul Casanova to the Padres on December 7.
- November 20, 1992: Jarvis Brown was signed as a free agent by the Padres.
- December 2, 1992: Bob Geren was signed as a free agent by the Padres.
- December 9, 1992: José Meléndez was traded by the Padres to the Boston Red Sox for Phil Plantier.
- December 10, 1992: Jim Pena was traded by the San Francisco Giants to the San Diego Padres for Paul Faries.
- December 17, 1992: Roger Mason was traded by the New York Mets with Mike Freitas (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Mike Maddux.
- March 30, 1993: Darrin Jackson was traded by the Padres to the Toronto Blue Jays for Derek Bell.
Opening Day starters
- Derek Bell
- Tony Gwynn
- Greg Harris
- Fred McGriff
- Phil Plantier
- Gary Sheffield
- Craig Shipley
- Tim Teufel
- Dan Walters
|San Francisco Giants||103||59||0.636||1||50–31||53–28|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||81||81||0.500||23||41–40||40–41|
|San Diego Padres||61||101||0.377||43||34–47||27–54|
Record vs. opponents
1993 National League Records
Sources:              
- June 1, 1993: Jeremy Hernandez was traded by the Padres to the Cleveland Indians for Fernando Hernández and Tracy Sanders (minors).
- June 3, 1993: Derrek Lee was drafted by the Padres in the 1st round (14th pick) of the 1993 Major League Baseball draft. Player signed July 20, 1993.
- June 23, 1993: Tim Scott was traded by the Padres to the Montreal Expos for Archi Cianfrocco.
- June 24, 1993: Gary Sheffield and Rich Rodriguez were traded by the Padres to the Florida Marlins for Trevor Hoffman, José Martínez, and Andrés Berumen.
- July 3, 1993: Roger Mason was traded by the Padres to the Philadelphia Phillies for Tim Mauser.
- July 10, 1993: Mark Davis was signed as a free agent by the Padres.
- July 18, 1993: Fred McGriff was traded by the Padres to the Atlanta Braves for Melvin Nieves, Donnie Elliott, and Vince Moore (minors).
- July 26, 1993: Bruce Hurst and Greg Harris were traded by the Padres to the Colorado Rockies for Brad Ausmus, Doug Bochtler and a player to be named later. The Rockies completed the deal by sending Andy Ashby to the Padres on July 27.
|1993 San Diego Padres|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|C||Higgins, KevinKevin Higgins||71||181||17||40||.221||0||13||0|
|1B||McGriff, FredFred McGriff||83||302||52||83||.275||18||46||4|
|2B||Gardner, JeffJeff Gardner||140||404||53||106||.262||1||24||2|
|3B||Sheffield, GaryGary Sheffield||68||258||34||76||.295||10||36||5|
|SS||Gutiérrez, RickyRicky Gutiérrez||133||438||76||110||.251||5||26||4|
|LF||Plantier, PhilPhil Plantier||138||462||67||111||.240||34||100||4|
|CF||Bell, DerekDerek Bell||150||542||73||142||.262||21||72||26|
|RF||Gwynn, TonyTony Gwynn||122||489||70||175||.358||7||59||14|
|Cianfrocco, ArchiArchi Cianfrocco||84||279||27||68||.244||11||47||2|
|Clark, PhilPhil Clark||102||240||33||75||.313||9||33||2|
|Shipley, CraigCraig Shipley||105||230||25||54||.235||4||22||12|
|Teufel, TimTim Teufel||96||200||26||50||.250||7||31||2|
|Bean, BillyBilly Bean||88||177||19||46||.260||5||32||2|
|Ausmus, BradBrad Ausmus||49||160||18||41||.256||5||12||2|
|Geren, BobBob Geren||58||145||8||31||.214||3||6||0|
|Brown, JarvisJarvis Brown||47||133||21||31||.233||0||8||3|
|Stillwell, KurtKurt Stillwell||57||121||9||26||.215||1||11||4|
|Walters, DanDan Walters||27||94||6||19||.202||1||10||0|
|Sherman, DarrellDarrell Sherman||37||63||8||14||.222||0||2||2|
|Nieves, MelvinMelvin Nieves||19||47||4||9||.191||2||3||0|
|López, LuisLuis López||17||43||1||5||.116||0||1||0|
|Harris, GregGreg Harris||22||152||10||9||3.67||83|
|Whitehurst, WallyWally Whitehurst||21||105.2||4||7||3.83||57|
|Ashby, AndyAndy Ashby||12||69||3||6||5.48||44|
|Eiland, DaveDave Eiland||10||48.1||0||3||5.21||14|
|Hurst, BruceBruce Hurst||2||4.1||0||1||12.46||3|
|Seminara, FrankFrank Seminara||18||46.1||3||3||4.47||22|
|Hoffman, TrevorTrevor Hoffman||39||2||4||3||4.31||53|
|Davis, MarkMark Davis||35||0||3||4||3.52||42|
|Mason, RogerRoger Mason||34||0||7||0||3.24||39|
|Rodriguez, RichRich Rodriguez||34||2||3||2||3.30||22|
|Mauser, TimTim Mauser||28||0||1||0||3.58||32|
|Scott, TimTim Scott||24||2||0||0||2.39||30|
|Hernandez, JeremyJeremy Hernandez||21||0||2||0||4.72||26|
See also: Minor League Baseball
- Phil Stephenson at Baseball-Reference
- Wally Whitehurst at Baseball-Reference
- Jarvis Brown at Baseball-Reference
- Bob Geren at Baseball-Reference
- Phil Plantier at Baseball-Reference
- Darrin Jackson at Baseball-Reference
- Jeremy Hernandez at Baseball-Reference
- Derrek Lee at Baseball-Reference
- Archi Cianfrocco at Baseball-Reference
- Gary Sheffield at Baseball-Reference
- Tim Mauser at Baseball-Reference
- Mark Davis at Baseball-Reference
- Melvin Nieves at Baseball-Reference
- Bruce Hurst at Baseball-Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007