1981 San Diego Padres season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1981 San Diego Padres|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Jack McKeon|
|Local radio||KFMB (AM)
(Ed Doucette, Dave Campbell, Jerry Coleman, Bob Chandler, Ted Leitner)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- December 8, 1980: Rollie Fingers, Bob Shirley, Gene Tenace and a player to be named later were traded by the Padres to the St. Louis Cardinals for Terry Kennedy, Steve Swisher, Mike Phillips, John Littlefield, John Urrea, Kim Seaman, and Al Olmsted. The Padres completed the deal by sending Bob Geren to the Cardinals on December 10.
- December 8, 1980: Chuck Baker was traded by the Padres to the Minnesota Twins for Dave Edwards.
- December 8, 1980: Mario Ramírez was selected by the Padres from the New York Mets in the rule 5 draft.
- December 15, 1980: Randy Jones was traded by the Padres to the New York Mets for John Pacella and José Moreno.
- December 15, 1980: Rick Sweet was purchased from the Padres by the Seattle Mariners.
- January 13, 1981: Eric Bullock was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 1st round (5th pick) of the 1981 amateur draft (Secondary Phase), but did not sign.
- March 27, 1981: Tony Phillips, Kevin Bell and Eric Mustad (minors) was traded by the Padres to the Oakland Athletics for Bob Lacey and Roy Moretti (minors).
- March 27, 1981: Eric Rasmussen was released by the Padres.
Opening Day Starters
|Los Angeles Dodgers||63||47||0.573||4||33–23||30–24|
|San Francisco Giants||56||55||0.505||11½||29–24||27–31|
|San Diego Padres||41||69||0.373||26||20–35||21–34|
First Half Standings
|Los Angeles Dodgers||36||21||.632|
|San Francisco Giants||27||32||.458|
|San Diego Padres||23||33||.411|
Second Half Standings
|San Francisco Giants||29||23||.558|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||27||26||.509|
|San Diego Padres||18||36||.333|
Record vs. opponents
1981 National League Records
Sources:            
- June 8, 1981: 1981 Major League Baseball Draft
- Kevin McReynolds was drafted by the Padres in the 1st round (6th pick).
- Tony Gwynn was drafted by the Padres in the 3rd round. Player signed June 16, 1981.
- Greg Booker was drafted by the Padres in the 10th round.
- John Kruk was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 3rd round of the Secondary Phase.
|1982 San Diego Padres|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Awards and honors
- Ozzie Smith, SS, Gold Glove Award
- Ozzie Smith, National League Leader Games Played (110)
- Ozzie Smith, National League Leader At-Bats (450)
See also: Minor league baseball
- Rollie Fingers page at Baseball Reference
- Dave Edwards page at Baseball Reference
- Mario Ramírez page at Baseball Reference
- José Moreno page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Sweet page at Baseball Reference
- Tony Phillips page at Baseball Reference
- Eric Rasmussen page at Baseball Reference
- Kevin McReynolds page at Baseball Reference
- Tony Gwynn page at Baseball Reference
- Greg Booker page at Baseball Reference
- John Kruk page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
- 1981 San Diego Padres team page at Baseball Reference
- 1981 San Diego Padres team page at Baseball Almanac