A. J. Preller
|A. J. Preller|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Occupation||General Manager, Executive Vice President|
|Employer||San Diego Padres|
|Home town||Huntington, New York|
Preller grew up on Long Island, New York, and went to school in South Huntington, New York, where in 1995 he graduated from Walt Whitman High School. He attended Cornell University, where he met Jon Daniels, and graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. degree in 1999. After graduation, he served as an intern with the Philadelphia Phillies before joining the front office of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and also worked for Major League Baseball.
Front office career
In 2004, Preller was hired as Director of International and Professional Scouting by the Texas Rangers. While at Cornell, he was a fraternity brother of Texas Rangers General Manager Jon Daniels. Preller reached the position of Assistant GM, before being hired by the San Diego Padres.
San Diego Padres
On August 6, 2014, the Padres announced the hiring of Preller as their new general manager. His hiring concluded a six-week process that commenced on June 22 after San Diego dismissed Josh Byrnes following a two and a half years tenure. The Padres also interviewed Kim Ng, Billy Eppler, and Mike Hazen. His official title is the Executive Vice-President and the General Manager of the Padres. Preller reportedly agreed to a five-year deal upon joining the Padres organization. He made numerous transactions over the 2014-2015 offseason in what came to be known as "Prellerpalooza." He traded Yasmani Grandal to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Matt Kemp and Tim Federowicz. He partook in a three team trade for Wil Myers and Ryan Hanigan. He traded prospects to the Braves for Justin Upton. He signed James Shields to a 4-year contract. He made several smaller moves as well, as he launched the Padres into playoff talks before the season began. He concluded the offseason by trading for Braves closer Craig Kimbrel just hours before the season opened on April 5th.
Despite his off-season trades, the Padres in June 2015 were still under performing. This has partially led to the firing of manager, Bud Black, on June 15th, 2015.
- Wood, Matthew (August 6, 2014). "Seven Things to Know About New Padres GM A.J. Preller". NBC San Diego. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Padres turn to A.J. Preller as GM". ESPN. August 7, 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Herzog, Brad (July–August 2011). "Urban Cowboys". Cornell Alumni Magazine. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Meet Hall of Fame Inductee AJ Preller". South Huntington Schools District. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Meet Hall of Fame Inductee AJ Preller". South Huntington School. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Grant, Evan (August 5, 2014). "San Diego Padres hire Rangers' A.J. Preller as General Manager". Dallas News. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Heyman, John (August 6, 2014). "A.J. Preller accepts five-year deal to become Padres GM". CBS Sports. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Todd, Jeff. "Pardes general manager A.J. Preller suspended 30 days". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved September 15, 2016.
|San Diego Padres General Manager