1997 PBA Commissioner's Cup
|1997 PBA Commissioner's Cup|
|Duration||June 13 - September 7, 1997|
|TV partner(s)||VTV (IBC)|
|Champions||Gordon's Gin Boars|
|Best Player||Johnny Abarrientos (Alaska)|
|Best Import||Jeff Ward (San Miguel)|
|Finals MVP||Marlou Aquino (Gordon's Gin)|
|PBA Commissioner's Cup chronology|
|PBA conference chronology|
The 1997 Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Commissioner's Cup was the second conference of the 1997 PBA season. It started on June 13 and ended on September 7, 1997. The tournament is an Import-laden format, which requires an import or a pure-foreign player for each team with a 6'8" height limit.
The following format will be observed for the duration of the conference:
- The teams were divided into 2 groups.
- Teams in a group will play against each other twice and against teams in the other group once; 10 games per team; Teams are then seeded by basis on win-loss records. Ties are broken among point differentials of the tied teams. Standings will be determined in one league table; teams do not qualify by basis of groupings.
- The top five teams after the eliminations will advance to the semifinals.
- Semifinals will be two round robin affairs with the remaining five teams. Results from the eliminations will be carried over. A playoff incentive for a finals berth will be given to the team that will win at least five of their eight semifinal games.
- The top two teams (or the top team and the winner of the playoff incentive) will face each other in a best-of-seven championship series. The next two teams (or the loser of the playoff incentive and the fourth seeded team) dispute the third-place trophy in a one-game playoff.
|Qualified for semifinals|
|1||Gordon's Gin Boars||6||4||.600||--|
|2||San Miguel Beermen||6||4||.600||--|
|3||Formula Shell Zoom Masters||6||4||.600||--|
|4||Sta. Lucia Realtors||6||4||.600||--|
|7||Pop Cola Bottlers||4||6||.400||2|
|8||Purefoods Corned Beef||3||7||.300||3|
|Qualified for finals|
|Qualified for finals playoff|
|Qualified for battle-for-third|
|2||San Miguel Beermen||11||7||.611||–-||5||3|
|3||Gordon's Gin Boars||11||7||.611||–-||5||3|
|4||Sta. Lucia Realtors||8||10||.444||3||2||6|
|5||Formula Shell Zoom Masters||8||10||.444||3||2||6|
Note: Alaska automatically gained the first finals berth due to a higher winning quotient against San Miguel and Gordon's Gin.
Finals seed playoff
|San Miguel Beermen 100, Gordon's Gin Boars 106 (2OT)|
|Scoring by quarter: 20-16, 14-22, 22-17, 24-25, Overtime: 14-14, 6-12|
|Pts: Jeff Ward 29
Rebs: Jeff Ward 14
Asts: Olsen Racela 7
|Pts: Chris King 36
Rebs: Chris King 17
Asts: Chris King 6
Battle for third
|San Miguel Beermen 96, Sta. Lucia Realtors 95|
|San Miguel wins third place trophy.|
|Gordon's Gin Boars 105, Alaska Milkmen 79|
|Gordon's Gin wins series, 4-2|
- Complete semis cast hinges on Gordon's victory today, Manila Standard
- SMB to Gordon's; Let's do it today, Manila Standard