1 (2009 film)
|Directed by||Pater Sparrow|
|Produced by||Attila Csáky
|Written by||Judit Góczán & Pater Sparrow|
|Based on||One Human Minute
by Stanislaw Lem
|Music by||Dávid Szesztay|
|Cinematography||Máté Tóth Widamon|
|Edited by||Wanda Kiss|
A bookshop renowned for its rare works is mysteriously filled with copies of a book entitled 1, which doesn't appear to have a publisher or author. The strange almanac is filled with tables and statistics that describe everything that happens in the world in the course of one minute. A police investigation begins and the bookshop staff, along with a mysterious visitor from Vatican City who arrived just as the book did, are placed in solitary confinement by the Bureau for Paranormal Research (RDI - Reality Defense Institute). As the investigation progresses, the situation becomes more complex and the book increasingly well known, raising numerous controversies. Slowly, the lead investigator, Phil Pitch, begins to lose his grip on reality.
Festivals & awards
- The film debut at the 40th Hungarian Film Week where won 5 awards: Best Cinematography, Best Editor, Best Visual Design, Best Producer, and received the Best First Feature Film award from the Student Jury.
- Also won the Hungarian Film Critics Award in 2010 for best visual achievement.
- Best Director and Best Actor for Zoltán Mucsi at the 30th Fantasporto International Film Festival.
- Best Director at the 20th Fantastic Film Festival of the University of Málaga (Fancine Málaga)
- Best Sci-Fi feature at the 5th Cinefantasy Film Festival in San Paulo.
- Audience Award at the 16th International Festival of Young Filmmakers in Granada and at the 7th Fresh Film Fest in Praha.
- 42nd SITGES International Film Festival of Fantastic Films / 'New Visions - Discovery' section
- Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival 'European' and '7th Orbit' competition
- The London International Festival Of Science Fiction and Fantastic Film
- Festival International du Film Policier de Liege
- Göteborg International Film Festival
- New York Lincoln Center/ Hungarian Film Festival
- SFF-rated Athens Intl Sci-Fi & Fantasy Film Festival
- Triest S+F International Film Festival.
- Bradford International Film Festival,
- Oslo International Film Festival,
- Brussels EuroCine 27 Festival
- Israel Icon Film Festival
- Ourense International Independent Film Festival
- Fantasy Montreal International Film Festival
- Montevideo Fantastic Film Festival
- Official website
- 1 on IMDb
- Review of Pater Sparrow's Stanislaw Lem adaptation "1"
- End and End Image: 1 at the Wayback Machine (archived 2012-07-25)
- Lem, Hungarian, two good friends – an interview with Pater Sparrow, the director of „1”
- The Room interview with Pater Sparrow, Fruzsina Lányi, and Judit Varga at the Wayback Machine (archived 2012-02-27)