2008 Copa América (baseball)
"America Baseball Cup" is the English translation of the competition's Spanish name, which is Copa America de Beisbol. The competition was used to select the teams that represented Central and South America — including the Caribbean — in the Baseball World Cup.
Format and participation
The tournament is split up into 2 groups. Group A consists of Venezuela, Nicaragua, Colombia, Netherlands Antilles and Mexico, and Group B consists of Puerto Rico, Brazil, Aruba, Guatemala and Panama.
Puerto Rico won the tournament, defeating Nicaragua 4:1 in the final.
- C: César Quintero, Panama (.577/.593/.846)
- 1B: Carlos Rivera, Puerto Rico (MVP) (.375/.444/.719, 3 HR, 10 RBI)
- 2B: Ofilio Castro, Nicaragua (.480/.536/.640, 7 R, 7 RBI)
- SS: Andy González, Puerto Rico (.379/.455/.517, 8 R)
- 3B: Agustín Murillo, Mexico (.323/.353/.742, 4 2B, 3 HR, 7 R, 11 RBI)
- OF: Willie Vasquez, Venezuela (.414/.469/.483)
- OF: Ardley Jansen, Netherlands Antilles (.444/.467/.963, 4 HR, 8 R, 8 RBI)
- OF: Danilo Sotelo, Nicaragua (.385/.393/.462)
- DH: José Velázquez, Puerto Rico (.308/.379/.462)
- RHP: Johnny Gregorius, Netherlands Antilles (2-0, 0 R, 5 H in 15 IP)
- LHP: Raymond Martes, Netherlands Antilles (1-1, 5.02)
- Baseball awards#Americas
- Baseball at the Pan American Games
- Baseball at the Central American and Caribbean Games
- Baseball at the South American Games
- 2004 Americas Olympic Baseball Qualifying Tournament
- "Final Spots in World Cup on the line at Copa America". Mister Baseball. October 2, 2008. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Cuba Not to Attend Baseball America Cup". CRIENGLISH.com. September 25, 2008. Archived from the original on 26 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- "Puerto Rico se corona en el premundial de béisbol" (in Spanish). Primera Hora. 2008-10-05. Archived from the original on December 8, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
|This article related to a baseball league, competition or tournament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|