Venezuela national baseball team
|Federation||Federación Venezolana de Béisbol|
|World Baseball Classic|
|Appearances||3 (First in 2006)|
|Best result||3rd (1 time, in 2009)|
|Appearances||18 (First in 1940)|
|Best result||1st (3 times, most recent in 1945)|
|Appearances||2 (First in 1973)|
|Best result||6 (1 time, in 2002)|
|Pan American Games|
|Appearances||3 (First in 1955)|
|Best result||1st (1 time, in 1959)|
World Baseball Classic
World Baseball Classic
|United States / Puerto Rico 2006||7th|
|Canada / United States 2009||3rd|
|Puerto Rico 2013||10th|
In June 2005, Major League Baseball announced the formation of the World Baseball Classic, a sixteen nation international competition to be held in March 2006 for the first time. The team Venezuela sent to the 2006 and 2009 World Baseball Classic included Venezuelan players from Major League Baseball. A player is eligible to participate on a WBC national team if:
- The player is a citizen of the nation the team represents.
- The player is qualified for citizenship or to hold a passport under the laws of a nation represented by a team, but has not been granted citizenship or been issued a passport, then the player may be made eligible by WBCI upon petition by the player or team.
- The player is a permanent legal resident of the nation or territory the team represents.
- The player was born in the nation or territory the team represents.
- The player has one parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the nation the team represents.
- The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the team represents.
|World Baseball Classic record||Qualification record|
|2006||United States/Puerto Rico||Round 2||7th||3||3||22||20||No qualifiers held|
|2009||Canada/United States||Semifinal||3rd||6||2||45||36||No qualifiers held|
|2013||Puerto Rico||Round 1||10th||1||2||17||21||Automatically qualified|
2009: Venezuela wins bronze
Venezuela competed in the 2009 World Baseball Classic, playing its opening games in Pool C, in Toronto. The Venezuelans secured advancement out of Pool C with a pair of resounding wins over Italy. Along the way, Venezuela also lost a 15–6 slugfest against the United States, but won twice against the same team.
2013: First round exit
In the 2013 World Baseball Classic, Venezuela was eliminated by Puerto Rico, who went on to eliminate Italy, the United States and two-time defending champion Japan. Their placing as the third team in Pool C after defeating newcomers Spain was sufficient to secure direct qualification to the 2017 World Baseball Classic.
Baseball World Cup
2009 IBAF World Cup
In 2009, Europe will host the IBAF World Cup. It will mark the first time in history the Baseball World Cup will not be hosted by a certain country, but rather a whole continent. The 2009 Baseball World Cup will take place from 9–27 September. Seven European countries will host and participant in the tournament of 22 teams. The event will be made up of five groups consisting of four teams each, for a total of 20 teams. Italy (Bollate, Bologna, Codogno, Florence, Macerata, Milano, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, San Marino, Torino, Trieste, Verona & Vicenza) and Netherlands (Rotterdam, Haarlem & Amsterdam) serve as hosts of the sixteen teams of the second round ( 14–20 September), and therefore receive first round byes. The groups are as follows:
- Group A (hosted by the Czech Republic in Prague): Czech Republic, Australia, Chinese Taipei & Mexico
- Group B (hosted by Spain in Barcelona): Spain, Cuba, Puerto Rico & South Africa
- Group C (hosted by Sweden in Stockholm): Sweden, Canada, Korea & Netherlands Antilles
- Group D (hosted by Russia in Moscow): Russia, France/Great Britain, Japan & Nicaragua
- Group E (hosted by Germany in Regensburg): Germany, China, U.S.A. & Venezuela
Pan American Games
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Venezuela national baseball team.|
- "IBAF World Rankings" (PDF). International Baseball Federation. 2 June 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Dan Serafini Wins One For Team Italy". Retrieved 21 March 2009.
- "World Baseball Classic". Retrieved 18 March 2009.
- "IBAF announces groups for first round of 2009 Baseball World Cup" (PDF). Retrieved 15 March 2009.
- "IBAF World Cup 2009 in Europe". Retrieved 15 March 2009.