2009 Atlantic Championship
|2009 Atlantic Championship season|
|Cooper Tires Presents the Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda|
|Start date||March 20|
|End date||October 11|
|Drivers' champion||John Edwards|
The 2009 IMSA Cooper Tires Atlantic Championship season was the thirty-sixth Atlantic Championship season. It was the first full season of the Championship under the sanctioning of the International Motor Sports Association. After a three-way title battle into the final round at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, John Edwards became the series' youngest champion, beating Jonathan Summerton on a tie-breaker, after both drivers finished on 182 points. They also finished tied on four victories, but Edwards broke the tie with four second-place finishes compared to Summerton's three.
|Round||Race name||Circuit||City/Location||Race date|
|1||Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring||Sebring International Raceway||Sebring, Florida||March 20|
|2||Larry H. Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix||Miller Motorsports Park||Tooele, Utah||May 17|
|3||Mazda Formula X – Race 1||New Jersey Motorsports Park||Millville, New Jersey||June 13|
|4||Mazda Formula X – Race 2||June 14|
|5||Northeast Grand Prix||Lime Rock Park||Lakeville, Connecticut||July 18|
|6||Autobahn Grand Prix – Race 1||Autobahn Country Club||Joliet, Illinois||July 25|
|7||Autobahn Grand Prix – Race 2||July 26|
|8||Acura Sports Car Challenge of Mid-Ohio||Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course||Lexington, Ohio||August 8|
|9||Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières||Circuit Trois-Rivières||Trois-Rivières, Quebec||August 16|
|10||Grand Prix of Mosport||Mosport International Raceway||Bowmanville, Ontario||August 30|
|11||Petit Le Mans||Road Atlanta||Braselton, Georgia||September 26|
|12||Monterey Sports Car Championships||Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca||Monterey, California||October 11|
Seven rounds are held jointly with the American Le Mans Series: Sebring, Miller, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Mosport, Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca.
The series planned to open its season on a road course on Hutchinson Island in Savannah, Georgia, on March 15. The race was postponed until 2010, as further work on the track was required before it could be homologated for professional open wheel racing. A second race at New Jersey Motorsports Park and Autobahn Country Club were added instead.
Drivers and teams
The following teams and drivers competed in the 2009 Atlantic Championship. All teams are using the Swift 016.a chassis powered by a Mazda-Cosworth MZR 2.3-litre inline-4 engine and Cooper tires. C2 Class teams use the Swift 014.a chassis.
|Condor Motorsports||6||Borja García||CJ Consulting||missed Road Atlanta|
|Frédéric Vervisch||Laguna Seca only|
|Conquest Racing||12||James Winslow||Sebring only|
|Matt Lee||Lime Rock only|
|21||Harald Schlegelmilch||Sebring only|
|Genoa Racing||17||Frédéric Vervisch||Quartier / Isomo / Shinokki||missed Laguna Seca|
|18||Tõnis Kasemets||Miller Motorsports Park only|
|Robert Wickens||Mosport only|
|Greg Mansell||Road Atlanta only|
|James Winslow||New Jersey, Mid-Ohio & Trois-Rivières|
|19||Lime Rock, Autobahn & Road Atlanta|
|Jonathan Summerton||Left team after New Jersey|
|Jensen MotorSport||1||Markus Niemela||Joined team at Autobahn|
|2||Matt Lee||Sebring only|
|James Winslow||Miller Motorsports Park only|
|Davíd Garza Pérez||New Jersey only|
|Barrett Mertins||Laguna Seca only|
|3||Michael Nacol||Left team after Autobahn|
|Eric Jensen||Trois-Rivières & Mosport only|
|13||Autobahn race 2 only|
|Mathiasen Motorsports||26||Jonathan Bomarito||Sebring only|
|Newman Wachs Racing||1||Markus Niemelä||Mr. Jones / Nuclear Clean Air Energy / Entergy||Left team after New Jersey|
|34||Jonathan Summerton||Joined team at Lime Rock|
|36||John Edwards||MAZDASPEED / Nuclear Clean Air Energy / Entergy|
|Paladin Motorsports||45||James Winslow||Laguna Seca Only|
|Polestar Motor Racing||35||Tõnis Kasemets||missed Miller Motorsports Park|
|66||Richard Zober||New Jersey, Lime Rock only|
| Team Stargate Worlds
operated by US RaceTronics
|77||Frankie Muniz||Stargate Worlds / Cheyenne Mountain Ent. / FireSky||wrist surgery, missed 3 last races.|
|Jonathan Bomarito||Stargate Worlds||Road Atlanta & Laguna Seca only|
|78||Simona de Silvestro||Stargate Worlds / Cheyenne Mountain Ent. / FireSky|
|Swan Racing||29||Ahsen Yelkin||Everclear Specialty Lubricants||Sebring only|
|68||Chris Lee||Everclear Specialty Lubricants||Sebring only|
|71||Michael Mällinen||Mallinen Properties||selected races|
|75||Sadat Yelkin||Everclear Specialty Lubricants||Sebring only|
|80||Hans Peter||Mid-Ohio only|
|88||Mirl Swan||Everclear Specialty Lubricants||Sebring, Mid-Ohio only|
The point system was modified from previous years for the 2009 season. Points are awarded as follows:
- Bonus points will also be awarded for the fastest driver in a qualifying session (10 races will have two sessions), and most places gained during the race.
- This means the maximum a driver can score is 21, as a driver cannot earn the most places gained point, if they've started from pole.
- Only the driver's best eleven scores will count towards the championship.
- Polesitters are denoted in bold. Polesitters are determined by the fastest overall lap in qualifying, and one point is awarded at each round.
- Driver in italics has gained the most places in a round. One point is awarded at each round.
- At round one, no hard charger point was awarded in the C2 Class as no drivers changed positions over the 19-lap duration. This also occurred at rounds two, three and four, but on these occasions due to only one car taking part.
Television and other video
Web video of events has also historically been available on the series website, and the series also has its own official YouTube channel under the username "AtlanticRacingSeries."
- "Atlantic Championship Schedule Features New Look in 2009". 2008-11-06. Archived from the original on 13 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- "Miller Motorsports Park Announces 2009 Racing Schedule". millermotorsportspark.com. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Star Mazda Announces 2009 Schedule" (PDF). starmazda.com. 2008-10-03. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Atlantic Series has new owner". montereyherald.com. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Atlantic: Team Owners Meeting Details Revealed". 2009-02-03. Archived from the original on 8 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- Ebentley (2009-03-12). "Garcia Flies Atlantic with Condor to Conquer America" (PDF). imsaracing.net. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Max Lefèvre". atlantic-championship.com. 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2009-02-22.[dead link]
- "Australian champion Winslow lands Atlantic series ride". motorsport.com. 2009-03-15. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Edwards Leads Atlantic Championship into First Doubleheader of 2009 Season at New Jersey". Atlantic Championship. Atlantic Racing Series. 2009-06-11. Archived from the original on 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Conquest Racing signs Harald Schlegelmilch for Sebring race". f1sa.com. 2009-03-09. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Communications Inc. (2009-03-15). "Frédéric Vervisch joins Genoa Racing". flagworld.com. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Genoa Racing to skip Atlantic season finale". Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Genoa bulks up for round two". crash.net. Crash Media Group. 2009-05-15. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "Future Racing Stars On Display This Weekend as Atlantic Championship Returns to Mosport". 2009-09-27. Archived from the original on 2009-09-06. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- "Mathiasen and Bomarito return for 2009". speedtv.com. 2009-03-04. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "Mathiasen Motorsports Withdraws from Series". eformulacarnews.com. 2009-04-16. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "2008 Champ Niemela Joins Newman Wachs". speedtv.com. 2009-03-05. Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "John Edwards Joins Newman Wachs Racing for 2009 Atlantic Season". atlantic-championship.com. 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2009-02-22.[dead link]
- "Team Stargate Worlds Enters 2009 Atlantic Competition". atlantic-championship.com. 2009-02-25. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Atlantic Championship 2009 Racing Schedule". atlantic-championship.com. 2008-07-29. Archived from the original on 2009-08-01. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "2009 Atlantic Championship Points Structure Reconfigured" (PDF). 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- Nate Siebens (2009-03-20). "2009 Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda, Round 1 – Sebring International Raceway Driver Performance Chart" (PDF). International Motor Sports Association. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-03-21.
- "Title Unknown". Archived from the original on 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-06-07.