2011 FAI Cup Final
|Event||2011 FAI Cup|
|Sligo won 4-1 on penalties|
|Date||6 November 2011|
|Venue||Aviva Stadium, Dublin|
|Man of the Match||Stephen Paisley (Shelbourne)|
|Weather||Cold but dry and sunny|
The 2011 Ford FAI Cup Final was the 88th final of the FAI Cup, the oldest domestic football competition in Ireland. The match took place on 6 November 2011 at Aviva Stadium in Dublin for the second consecutive year. The two clubs contesting the 2011 final were Premier Division side, Sligo Rovers and First Division side, Shelbourne, with the victors guaranteeing a berth in the UEFA Europa League. The 2011 final was Sligo Rovers tenth and Shelbourne's eighteenth FAI Cup Final in their 116 years of existence. The game took place on Sunday, 6 November 2011 at 3.30pm local time. The match was aired live on RTÉ Two from 3pm to 6.40pm. Sligo retained the cup after a four one win in a penalty shoot-out.
For Sligo Rovers, it was their 3rd final in row. Sligo Rovers won the last cup final in 2010, beating Shamrock Rovers on penalties 2-0,having lost the 2009 final 2-1 to the now defunct Sporting Fingal. The last time Shelbourne reached the final was in 2000, the game in which they beat Bohemians F.C. to win the cup. Rovers have a total of 3 titles and Shels have a total of 7 titles.
Wicklow-based referee Richie Winter was named as the referee for the 2011 FAI Cup Final on 25 October 2011. Winter's previous assignments in the FAI Cup Final included a position as fourth official for the 2008 FAI Cup Final.
Since both sides' first-choice kits are red, the toss off a coin was used to decide which team had choice of kit. Shelbourne won the toss and wore their home kit of red shirt and white shorts, while Sligo Rovers wore their away kit of white shirts and white shorts.
|Shelbourne||1 – 1||Sligo Rovers|
|1 – 4|| Eoin Doyle
- "Sligo Rovers win FAI Cup after penalty shoot-out". RTÉ Sport. 6 November 2011. Archived from the original on 7 November 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Shelbourne 1 - 1 Sligo Rovers (Sligo win 4-1 on pens)". Extratime.ie. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "Keeper Kelly spot on to ensure cup stays in Sligo". Herald.ie. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "Keeper Kelly the hero for Sligo again". Irish Examiner. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "Shels' fairytale turns sour". Irish Independent. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "Rovers can script better outcome to final re-run". Irish Independent. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "Shelbourne look to upset cup final odds". Irish Examiner. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "FAI Cup Final: Shelbourne v Sligo Rovers". Extratime.ie. 5 November 2011. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 8 November 2011.