Richie Ryan (footballer)
|Full name||Richford Ryan|
|Date of birth||6 January 1985|
|Place of birth||Templetuohy, Republic of Ireland|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2005||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||0||(0)|
|Republic of Ireland U18 |
|2010||League of Ireland XI||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 June 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 29 September 2014
Richie Ryan (born 6 January 1985) is an Irish professional footballer who currently plays for Miami FC in the North American Soccer League. He has previously played for Sunderland, Scunthorpe United and Boston United in England; Royal Antwerp in Belgium; Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers in Ireland; Dundee United in Scotland; Ottawa Fury in Canada and Jacksonville Armada in the United States.
Ryan played his youth days for Belvedere before moving abroad. He started his professional career at Sunderland making two substitute appearances in the Premier League in 2003. His debut came in the Tyne–Wear derby in April 2003.
He signed for Scunthorpe United initially on loan in March 2005. This became a permanent move in June. The following season he signed for Boston United. He left the club a year later after their double relegation, intending to return to his native Ireland.
Ryan signed for Royal Antwerp in July 2007, making his competitive début in a 4-1 defeat to Kortrijk on 30 September, before moving back to Sligo Rovers. He made his League of Ireland debut for Sligo in a 1-0 defeat to Cork City at the Showgrounds on 3 August 2008. He scored his first goal for the club in a 2-2 draw with Cork City in the 2009–10 Setanta Sports Cup, Sligo's first ever goal in the competition.
He struggled to get a regular place in the side for his first year and a half as he struggled with fitness but came into his own with a string of highly impressive passing displays in the successful 2010 season. Ryan was Player of the Month in October and won the 2010 PFAI Player of the Year award. He was named as club captain for the 2011 season and captained the club to a second-place finish in the league and an FAI Cup, which Sligo won after beating Shelbourne on penalties. This was Ryan's first time winning an FAI Cup as he was suspended for the 2010 Final.
Ryan signed for Scottish Premier League side Dundee United in November 2011. He joined his new teammates in January 2012, making his debut as a substitute in a 2-1 defeat by Aberdeen on 2 January.
On 25 July 2013 it was announced that Ryan had left Dundee United by mutual consent. On 7 August it was announced that he had signed for Shamrock Rovers. He made his league debut two days later. In September Ryan won his second League of Ireland Cup 
After two years with Ottawa, Ryan transferred to Jacksonville Armada FC on 15 December 2015. Less than six-months later Ryan was on the move again, joining fellow NASL side Miami FC on 13 May 2016, for a reported fee of $750,000.
- Sligo Rovers
- Shamrock Rovers
- Ottawa Fury
- "International Roll Of Honour". www.belvederefc.com. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Magpies see off Sunderland". BBC News. 26 April 2003.
- "Extratime.ie - League of Ireland Sports news, stats, match results, features and news". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish-soccer-league/2010/1124/273511-ryanr_sligorovers/.html[dead link]
- "Ryan wins PFAI Player of the Year". RTÉ.ie. 7 November 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "RICHIE RYAN SIGNS FOR UNITED". dundeeunitedfc.co.uk. Dundee United F.C. 23 November 2011. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- Roache, Ian (3 January 2012). "Dundee United 1 Aberdeen 2: Houston questions match officials' ability to do their jobs". The Courier. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Welcome to Tannadice - Dundee United Football Club". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Richie Ryan signs". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Rovers 0:4 St Pat's". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Rovers 2:0 Drogheda Utd". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Home - nasl.com". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "ARMADA FC SIGNS 2015 NASL BEST XI MIDFIELDER RICHIE RYAN". www.armadafc.com. Jacksonville Armada. 15 December 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "THE MIAMI FC ACQUIRES IRISH MIDFIELDER RICHIE RYAN". www.miamifc.com. Miami FC. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.