2011 Pan Arab Games
|Athletes participating||8,000 (est.)|
|Opening ceremony||9 December|
|Closing ceremony||23 December|
|Officially opened by||Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani|
|Main venue||Khalifa International Stadium|
The 2011 Arab Games is the 12th quadrennial Pan Arab Games and took place in Doha, Qatar from December 6 to 23, 2011. This was the first time that the country had hosted the multi-sport event. Khalifa International Stadium was the main venue for the competition.
Qatar was awarded rights to organise the games beating Lebanon in the bidding process. Arab Federation for Sports secretary general Othman al-Saad said that Qatar's hosting of the Pan-Arab Games would give the event "more momentum and significance in light of the huge capabilities and world-class sports facilities which Qatar owns."
Wathnan was designed as the mascot for the Games. It's a white horse, which is very important in Arabian culture.
Initially, all twenty-two nations of the Union of Arab National Olympic Committees were scheduled to compete at the games. However, Syria withdrew its team in November 2011 in protest of the Arab League's suspension of the country's membership.
|11||United Arab Emirates||10||9||16||35|
Paralympic Medal Standings
|10||United Arab Emirates||0||0||3||3|
- "General Schedule". 2011 Arab Games Doha. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- National Committee for co-ordinating Conferences and Events. Retrieved on 2010-07-13.
- Qatar awarded rights to host 12th Pan Arab Games in 2011 published by the Qatar Olympic Committee on 2008-10-07. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- Qatar to host Pan Arab Games in 2011 published by Sports City on 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2011-03-10.[dead link]
- Doha first in the Gulf to host Pan-Arab Games. Gulf Times (2008-10-07). Retrieved on 2010-07-13.
- (Arabic) Participating countries. Doha 2011. Retrieved on 2010-07-13.[dead link]
- Syria boycotts the Arab games in Qatar. Xinhua (2011-11-14). Retrieved on 2011-12-11.