|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||10s 20s 30s – 40s – 50s 60s 70s|
|Years:||41 42 43 – 44 – 45 46 47|
|44 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||797|
|Chinese calendar||癸卯年 (Water Rabbit)
2740 or 2680
— to —
甲辰年 (Wood Dragon)
2741 or 2681
|Coptic calendar||−240 – −239|
|- Vikram Samvat||100–101|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3144–3145|
|Iranian calendar||578 BP – 577 BP|
|Islamic calendar||596 BH – 595 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1868 before ROC
|Seleucid era||355/356 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||586–587|
Year 44 (XLIV) was a leap year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Crispus and Taurus (or, less frequently, year 797 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 44 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus Passienus and Titus Statilius Taurus become Roman consuls.
- The emperor Claudius returns from his British campaign in triumph, the southeast part of Britannia now held by the Roman Empire, but the war will rage for another decade and a half.
- Boudicca marries Prasutagus, king of the British Celtic tribe the Iceni.
- Mauretania becomes a Roman province.
- The Isle of Rhodes returns to the Roman Empire.
- Judaea is controlled by Roman governors.
- Cuspius Fadus, governor of Judea (44–46), suppress the revolt of Theudas who is decapitated.
Arts and sciences
- Pomponius Mela writes De situ orbis, a geography of the Earth.
- Fictional Jacob (Lost) and fictional Man in Black (Lost) were born on an island in the South Pacific Ocean.
- James the Great, the son of Zebedee, martyrdom
- Herod Agrippa of Judea (b. 10 BC)
- Claudia Julia, executed niece of Claudius and Messalina (43–45)
- Wu Han, general of Han Dynasty