|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||50s 60s 70s – 80s – 90s 100s 110s|
|Years:||85 86 87 – 88 – 89 90 91|
|88 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||841|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
2784 or 2724
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
2785 or 2725
|Coptic calendar||−196 – −195|
|- Vikram Samvat||144–145|
|- Shaka Samvat||10–11|
|- Kali Yuga||3189–3190|
|Iranian calendar||534 BP – 533 BP|
|Islamic calendar||550 BH – 549 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1824 before ROC
|Seleucid era||399/400 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||630–631|
Year 88 (LXXXVIII) was a leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Rufus (or, less frequently, year 841 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 88 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Two Egyptian obelisks are erected in Benevento in front of the Temple of Isis, in honour of emperor Domitian.
- Quintilian retires from teaching and from pleading, to compose his great work on the training of the orator (Institutio Oratoria).
- The First Dacian War ends: Decebalus becomes a client king of Rome, he receives money, craftsmen and war machines to protect the borders (Limes) of the Roman Empire.
- Emperor Han Zhangdi dies at age 31 after a 13-year reign in which Chinese military forces have become powerful enough to march against tribes who threaten their northern and western borders. Having used intrigue as well as armed might to achieve his ends. Zhangdi and his General Pan Chao have reestablished Chinese influence in Inner Asia, but court eunuchs have increased their power during the emperor's reign. Zhangdi is succeeded by his 9-year old son Zhao, who will reign until 105 as emperor Han Hedi, but he will be a virtual pawn of Empress Dou (adoptive mother) and scheming courtiers who will effectively rule the Chinese Empire.
- Last year (4th) of yuanhe era and start of zhanghe era of the Chinese Eastern Han Dynasty.
- Valerius Flaccus, epic poet (The Argonauts)
- Han Zhangdi, Emperor of China (b. 57)
- Dou Gu, general of Han Dynasty