8th Street (HBLR station)
|New Jersey Transit light rail station|
|Location||40 West 8th Street
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 81, 120
(one block west on Broadway)
|Opened||January 31, 2011|
|Electrified||750 V (DC) overhead catenary|
8th Street is a station on the Hudson–Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) located at Avenue C and West 8th Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. It is the southern terminus for the route traveling northbound towards Hoboken Terminal, where it terminates.
The station is located in the Bergen Point Section of Bayonne. It was once served by a stop on the Central Railroad of New Jersey's main line, as trains made their way from the main CNJ terminal in Jersey City to points in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This ended in 1967 when CNJ passenger service was diverted to Newark Penn Station as part of the Aldene Plan. Shuttle service from 8th Street ran south across the CRRNJ Newark Bay Bridge and continued until August 6, 1978. The headhouse is reminiscent of the earlier station. Baltimore and Ohio passenger trains passed through until its passenger operations northeast of Baltimore ceased operation in 1958.
On April 18, 2008, NJ Transit awarded a $58.4 million contracts to George Harms Company to begin the process of extending the line to 8th Street from 34th Street. This contract paid for foundations, viaducts, tracks and a new station building. The extension follows the Conrail right of way along Avenue E; a viaduct was constructed to take the trains above local streets to a station served by an elevator and stairs. Ground was broken for the station on October 15, 2008. Originally scheduled to open in late 2010, the new station opened January 31, 2011.
- "Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. January 31, 2011. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 3, 2009. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Thorpe. "CONRAIL/NJ D.O.T. Draws the Curtain on the Bayonne Shuttle". www.thorpefamily.us. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Bassett, Penny; Stessel, Dan (October 15, 2008). "Construction Begins on New Hudson-Bergen Light Rail 8th Street Station in Bayonne" (Press release). New Jersey Transit. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- Stephen J. Salamon, David P. Oroszi, and David P. Ori, Baltimore and Ohio — Reflections of the Capitol Dome. Silver Spring, Maryland: Old Line Graphics, 1993 (ISBN 1-879314-08-8).
- "Funds to stretch light rail to 8th St. in Bayonne", Jersey Journal, May 4, 2006. Archived August 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- NJ Transit Press Release April 17, 2008
- Bayonne Ground-Breaking Ceremony Held for 8th Street Light Rail Extension, October 17, 2008, retrieved 2011-05-15
- Hack, Charles (January 13, 2011). "Extending Light Rail across Bayonne Bridge to Staten Island is on minds of officials on both sides of Kill Van Kull". The Jersey Journal. Hoboken. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- NJT Hudson–Bergen Light Rail station information page for 8th Street
- Hudson–Bergen Light Rail schedule
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 8th Street (HBLR station).|