Aíto García Reneses
Aíto, with Unicaja Málaga
December 20, 1946 |
|1973–1983||Círculo Católico / Cotonificio|
|Career highlights and awards|
As head coach:
Alejandro "Aíto" García Reneses (born in Madrid, Spain, on 20 December 1946), usually known as just Aíto, is one of the most prestigious Spanish professional basketball coaches. He has won nine Liga ACB titles, all with FC Barcelona. He has won all the major European titles, except the EuroLeague, although he was a EuroLeague runner-up on three occasions (all with FC Barcelona): in 1989–90, 1995–96, and 1996–97.
García Reneses has spent most of his coaching career in Catalonia. He spent 15 seasons in FC Barcelona (13 as coach and two as general manager), and also in the three basketball teams from Badalona: Círculo Católico, Cotonificio, and specially Joventut, where he has been in two different periods, 1983–1985, and from July 2003 to May 2008. He trained Baloncesto Málaga for 3 seasons (2008–2011), and in 2012, he began coaching Club Baloncesto Sevilla.
Spanish national team
In June 2008, he became the head coach of the Spanish national basketball team, replacing Pepu Hernández. In the 2008 Olympics, he coached the team to a silver medal, in the closely contested gold medal game, losing to the USA national team, after being down by just 2 points, with a few minutes left in the game.
- Círculo Católico Badalona: 1973–1976.
- Cotonificio Badalona: 1976–1983.
- Joventut Badalona: 1983–1985.
- FC Barcelona:
- 1985–1990: head coach.
- 1990–1992: general manager
- 1992–1993: head coach, after 3 games he swaps his place with Quim Costa, so he becomes 2nd coach.
- 1993–1997: head coach.
- 1998–2001: head coach.
- Joventut Badalona: 2003–2008.
- Spain men's national basketball team: 2008.
- Baloncesto Málaga: 2008–2011.
- Cajasol: 2012–2014.
- Gran Canaria: 2014–2016.
- Alba Berlin: 2017.
- National competitions:
- International competitions:
- 1 European Cup Winners' Cup, with FC Barcelona: 1986.
- 2 Korać Cup, with FC Barcelona: 1987 and 1999.
- 1 FIBA EuroCup with Joventut Badalona : 2005–06
- 1 ULEB Cup with Joventut Badalona : 2007–08
- Bronze Medal, with Junior Spanish National Team in the 1979 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship in Damascus, 1979.
- ACB Profile (in Spanish)
|This biographical article relating to a Spanish basketball figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|