AJ Perez (blogger)
|Alwyne Jan "AJ" Perez|
Perez giving a talk to students
|Born||Alwyne Jan Calinao Perez
April 20, 1981
Parañaque, Metro Manila, Philippines
|Residence||Davao City, Philippines|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Communication|
|Alma mater||University of the Philippines Manila|
|Occupation||Blogger, Motivational Speaker, Corporate Trainer|
Alwyne Jan Calinao Perez (20 April 1981) or better known as AJ Perez is a Filipino blogger and motivational speaker who gained prominence as a blogger when his article, "Dear Ex ni Janine Tugonon" ("Dear Janine Tugonon's Ex (Boyfriend)") went viral. He is known for his humorous, fearless and witty writing style and his works are often about politics, current events, love and relationships, and life advices.
He is currently residing in Davao City where he spends majority of his time giving retreats and corporate seminars. He has also served as a consultant to various educational institutions. He is the 2013 Globe Tatt Pilipinas "Blogger Phenom" of the year for Davao City.
He is also a guest lecturer teaching social science subjects to pre-dentistry students from the Davao Medical School Foundation Inc (DMSFI).
Perez went to the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM) where he got his Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Organizational Communication. Prior to his stay in UPM, he earned some units in Philosophy while briefly staying in a seminary that is run by the Rogationist Fathers in Parañaque City.
Perez first gained prominence as a blogger when his article,"Dear Ex ni Janine Tugonon" went viral. This article was his humorous take regarding the relationship woes of Miss Universe 2012 first runner-up Janine Tugonon and her boyfriend Jaypee Santos. In just the span of two days, the article spread nationwide attention having 120,000 readers and was re-posted to various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter and gained traction from there as well. This viral post was even posted by the Philippines' major TV networks, ABS-CBN and GMA Network.
A month later, Perez again made the news when his blog post, "Dear Kuyang Taiwanese" ("Dear Taiwanese Elder Brother") went viral over social media sites. This article was Perez' way to defend Filipino migrant workers who were abused in Taiwan as a result of the standoff between the two countries over a territorial dispute.
His article "Because I Fell in Love Here in Davao" written as his homage for Davao City in time for the Kadayawan 2013 celebrations garnered much-acclaim from Davaoeños as the article went viral through social media. Also, during the height of the Priority Development Assistance Fund scam in the Philippines, many of Perez' articles that poked fun on those involved in the scam went viral on social media as well.
Perez had another viral write-up, when he wrote about the Mamasapano massacre entitled, "There is Something Wrong About this President."
- "Open letter to Janine's ex-boyfriend goes viral", ABS-CBN.com.
- Precious del Valle. "Dear Ex ni Janine Tugonon goes viral!", Insider Pinoy Showbiz.
- Archie Chedrick Z. Batu. "FCCY holds 1st Regional Confab" Davao Catholic Herald.com.
- Raymond Ang. "Tatt Awards gets loud and proud", Philippine Star.
- Algene Cutamora. "Celebrating Social Media Day 2013", Davao Bloggers.
- Jaime Lim. "Dear Ex Writer Speaks Up." Mindanao Times. 22 April 2013. Print.
- Ed Umbao. "'Dear Ex ni Janine Tugonon' Letter Goes Viral". Philippine News.
- "Open letter to Janine's ex-boyfriend goes viral", ABS-CBN.com
- HOT TV (GMA 7), Episode 042113.
- "Dear Kuyang Taiwanese" Letter Goes Viral, Says.ph.
- Calderon, Justin (13 May 2013). "Taipei threatens Manila with sanctions", Inside Investor.
- Tatt Awards Pilipinas Winners Archived August 4, 2013, at the Wayback Machine..