|Traded as||NASDAQ: AMAG
S&P 600 Component
|Founded||November 9, 1981|
|Footnotes / references
AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an American pharmaceutical company developing products that treat iron deficiency anemia (IDA) in adult patients. The company is a publicly traded company listed on NASDAQ under the symbol "AMAG".
In 2016, the company became a member of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).
AMAG Pharmaceuticals Inc. operates in the researching, marketing as well as distribution of its drugs. The areas that the company markets its products include the United States, Canada and the European Union.
In June 2015 the company acquired Cord Blood Registry for $700 million.
In 2015, the company's revenue reached $418 million. AMAG had 552 employees.
Drug approvals and distribution
In December 2011, Health Canada approved Ferumoxytol, under the brand name Feraheme, for use in treating both dialysis and non-dialysis dependent chronic kidney disease patients, as well as for treatment of adult patients suffering from iron deficiency anemia.
From 2010 to 2014, AMAG had a distribution agreement with Takeda which granted them exclusivity to the Canadian and European Union markets, where the drug is sold under the brand names Feraheme and Rienso, respectively.
- "AMAG Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMAG.O) company profile". Reuters. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "AMAG Profile". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Amag Pharma shares tumble on FDA ruling". Yahoo! Finance. Associated Press. 22 January 2014.
- "AMAG Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of New U.S. Patent for Ferumoxytol" (Press release). AMAG Pharmaceuticals. 7 August 2013.
- Leite, Julia (29 June 2015). "AMAG Pharmaceuticals to Buy Stem Cell Company for $700 Million". Bloomberg.
- Press Release, may 2015
- "The 9 fastest-growing biotech firms in the Bay State". Boston Business Journal. March 22, 2016.
- "Health Canada Approves Feraheme® (ferumoxytol) to Treat Iron Deficiency Anemia in Adults with Chronic Kidney Disease" (Press release). AMAG Pharmaceuticals. December 2011 – via FierceBiotech.
- "AMAG Pharmaceuticals and Takeda Announce Mutual Termination of Agreement to License, Develop and Commercialize Ferumoxytol in Ex-U.S. Territories, Including Europe" (Press release). AMAG Pharmaceuticals. 29 December 2014 – via Seeking Alpha.