|Privately held company|
|Predecessor||AXA Private Equity|
Number of locations
|Paris, London, Frankfurt, Milan, Madrid, Zurich, New York, San Francisco, Beijing, Singapore, Jersey, Luxembourg|
|Europe, North America, Asia|
|Dominique Senequier, Vincent Gombault, Dominique Gaillard, Benoît Verbrugghe, Mathias Burghardt, Olivier Decannière, Jérémie Delecourt, Philippe Poletti|
|Products||Funds of funds, direct funds, private debt and infrastructure, real estate, mandates|
Number of employees
Ardian manages assets worth US $55 billion in Europe, North America and Asia.
The company offers a range of funds including Funds of Funds, Direct Funds, Infrastructure and Private Debt and Real Estate.
Ardian has been ranked one of the largest companies by amount raised in equity by Private Equity International.
Ardian was named "Company of the Year" 2013 by the readers of Private Equity International.
- 1 History
- 2 Activities
- 3 Governance and management
- 4 Key figures
- 5 Significant Transactions Completed by Ardian
- 6 References
- 7 See also
Originally a subsidiary of AXA, the company operated under the name AXA Private Equity until 2013, when the firm achieved independent status and was renamed to Ardian.
In 1996, Claude Bébéar, founder and former AXA CEO, tasked Dominique Senequier with the creation of a private equity entity at AXA. Based in Paris, AXA Private Equity started off with 10 clients and 100 million euros worth of assets. The first investment took place in 1998 in the GSI Banque company Linedata.
In 1999, the opened offices in London and New York. That same year, it launched its Funds of Funds investment strategy.
In 2005, Ardian opened an office in Singapore and entered the Asian market. The same year, the company launched its Infrastructure investment strategy.
As a result of the 2007 financial crisis, the company postponed all new operations and instead focused on the management of its portfolio, in an effort to shield its companies from the effects of the crisis.
In 2009, Ardian acquired 100% of Kallista, a French company specialized in the production of renewable energies. Ardian then invested heavily in transports, energy, water supply and waste management. €2.5 billion were invested in infrastructure systems between 2005 and 2014.
In 2010, during the increased activity in the private equity secondary market, Ardian acquired a US $1.9 billion private equity portfolio from Bank of America and a US $900 million portfolio from Natixis.
On 30 September 2013, AXA Private Equity announced that it had completed its spin-off from the AXA Group and renamed the firm Ardian. Per the terms of the deal, AXA Group retained ownership of 23% of the firm, management and employees owned 46%, and the remaining 31% was held by French family offices and institutions. Currently, 85% of employees are shareholders.
On 2 September 2015, Ardian opened an office in Madrid, Spain.
On 7 September 2015, Ardian announced the launch of Ardian Real Estate, dedicated to investment in non-residential properties in Europe.
On 7 October 2015, Ardian opened an office in San Francisco, USA.
The company operates on five business segments:
• Funds of funds, which manages approximately $36 billion of assets focusing on primary, early secondary and secondary Funds of Funds.
• Direct funds, which manages approximately $9 billion.
• Infrastructure, which manages approximately $7 billion.
• Private debt, which manages approximately $3 billion.
• Real Estate, launched September 2015.
Funds of funds
The fund of funds business segment at Ardian was launched in 1998 and now manages $36 billion of assets.
Funds of Funds include primaries, early secondaries and secondaries. Ardian has completed an important range of transactions in these fields, including the purchase of fund portfolios from Bank of America and GE Capital.
Between 2012 and 2014, Ardian deployed $7 billion into Fund of Funds transactions.
In 2014, Ardian has deployed more than US $10 billion in secondary transactions.
The direct funds segment at Ardian manages approximately $9 billion of assets. It is organized into four activities:
• Mid Cap Buyout (which invests in companies with values ranging from €150 million to €1.5 billion).
• Expansion (which invests in companies valued at less than €150 million).
• Co-Investment (an activity that began in 2005, when large buyout transactions require a strategic partnership).
• Ardian Growth (which focuses on small and medium businesses — from €2 million to €10 million — that can achieve organic growth and have the potential to expand internationally).
Ardian's third infrastructure fund closed at €1.75 billion (including co-investments) of which 45% is already invested, notably through the acquisition of the London Luton Airport, the fourth-largest airport serving the London area, and of Vinci Park, specialized in construction, financing and operation of car parks in 14 countries around the world.
Ardian's fourth generation of infrastructure fund was closed in January 2016 at €2.65 billion.
[d1]Ajouter la phrase suivante
Lien article : https://www.altassets.net/private-equity-news/by-news-type/fund-news/ardian-closes-fourth-infrastructure-fund-on-e2-65bn.html
The private debt segment at Ardian was launched in 2005 and manages approximately $3 billion worth of assets. Ardian has completed 8 unitranche lending deals that range from €40 million to €275 million.
Since 2010, Ardian has provided, on average, €500 million financing per year.
In September 2015, Ardian closed its third generation of private debt fund of €2 billion.
Ardian Real Estate was launched in September 2015 under the management of Bertrand Julien-Laferrière. Its goal is to invest in commercial and non-residential real estate assets in continental Europe, starting with France, Italy and Germany.
Governance and management
The management team also includes:
• Vincent Gombault, head of Ardian’s Funds of Funds and Private Debt 
• Dominique Gaillard, head of Ardian's Direct Funds
• Benoît Verbrugghe, head of Ardian USA
• Mathias Burghardt, head of Ardian Infrastructure 
• Olivier Decannière, head of Ardian UK 
• Jérémie Delecourt, Corporate and International Development 
• Philippe Poletti, head of Ardian Mid Cap Buyout 
• $55 billion of assets (managed or advised)
• 130 companies in the direct funds portfolio
• 410 employees (2015)
• 12 offices (Northern America, Europe and Asia)
• $11 billion raised in 2014
• 85% of the employees are shareholders and hold, together, 52% of the company's capital.
Significant Transactions Completed by Ardian
Direct Funds, Infrastructure and Private Debt
In 2015, Ardian has more than 130 companies in its current direct portfolio through its different activities.
|Year||Company Name||Activity involved in the transaction||Country||Ref.|
|2015||SIACI Saint Honoré||Mid Cap Buyout||France|||
|2014||Schleich||Mid Cap Buyout||Germany|||
|2013||The Flexitallic Group||Private Debt||US|||
|2013||London Luton Airport||Infrastructure||UK|||
|2011||Odigeo||Mid Cap Buyout||Spain|||
|2007||Diana Ingredients||Mid Cap Buyout||France|||
|2007||Spotless Group||Mid Cap Buyout||France|||
|2005||Camaïeu||Mid Cap Buyout||France|||
Funds of Funds
In 2015, Ardian Funds of Funds' portfolio has about 1,200 funds with 10,000 underlying companies.
|Year||Seller||Type of assets||Size of transaction ($m)||Ref.|
|2010||Bank of America||Secondaries||1,900|||
- "AXA spins off private equity arm as "Ardian"". Reuters. 30 September 2013.
- "Ardian celebrates first year of independence by hitting $50bn AUM". AltAssets. 2 October 2014.
- "Ardian Raises $9bn to buy bank assets". Financial Times. 23 April 2014.
- "Private Equity International" (PDF).
- "Private Equity International" (PDF).
- "Dominique Senequier Le private équity à la française". Les Echos (in French). 15 October 2010.
- "Our history". Linedata.
- "AXA Private Equity funds-of-funds raise $8B - The Deal Pipeline (SAMPLE CONTENT: NEED AN ID?)". www.thedeal.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "AXA Private Equity opens Frankfurt office". IPE. 4 October 2001.
- "AXA Private Equity plans Asian expansion; office opening and new fund of funds". Alt Assets. 26 May 2005.
- "Industry bodies to debate profit-sharing disclosure". Private Equity News. 21 July 2008.
- Senequier, Dominique (29 May 2008). "Vive le LBO pour tous les salariés !". Le Monde (in French).
- "Infra funds should adapt to offer co-investment, says Ardian". IJ Global. 1 April 2014.
- "Risk, return, and cashflow characteristics of private equity investments in infrastructur" (PDF). CAIA.
- "Merged Public Transparency Report Ardian 2014" (PDF).
- "BofA Sells $1.9 Billion in Assets to Axa P.E". The New York Times. 22 April 2010.
- "Private Equity Secondary Market Heats Up". Think Advisor. 27 April 2014.
- "AXA Private Equity opens Beijing office". Private Equity Wire. 6 November 2012.
- "Axa Private Equity becomes Ardian after spin-out". Alt Assets. 30 September 2013.
- "Les plus importants fonds d'investissement du monde". Le Journal du Net (in French). 30 June 2014.
- "Private Equity International Annual Review" (PDF). 2013. p. 64.
- "Ardian Opens Madrid Office".
- "Ardiab Launches Real Estate Activity".
- "Ardian opens San Francisco office — Private Equity International". www.privateequityinternational.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Ardian - Activity Report 2014". www.ardian-investment.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- Ardian website : Key figures
- "AXA Private Equity Buys BofA Portfolio". The Wall Street Journal. 22 April 2010.
- "GE Capital to sell $1.3 bln PE portfolio to Ardian". PE HUB. 29 April 2014.
- Reuters (23 April 2014). "Private equity firm Ardian raises largest ever fund of funds". PE HUB.
- "PE HUB | Ardian spent more than $10.8 bln on secondaries last year". www.pehub.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Ardian - Activity Report 2014". www.ardian-investment.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Ardian appoints Gewolker as director". Private Equity Wire. 10 April 2014.
- "AXA Private Equity: why we bought Luton Airport". Financial News. 1 August 2013.
- "Ardian closes fourth infrastructure fund on €2.65bn | AltAssets Private Equity News". www.altassets.net. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Ardian secures 2.25b for european focused private debt fund".
- "ARDIAN investit 255 M€ en financement subordonné pour CEVA SANTE ANIMALE". Fusacq Buzz. 18 July 2014.
- "Ardian names real estate chief".
- "Ardian launches real estate arm".
- "Axa's private equity powerhouse". Financial Times. 29 September 2013.
- "Vincent Gombault's profile". Businessweek. Bloomberg.
- "Dominique Gaillard's profile". Businessweek. Bloomberg.
- "Benoît Verbrugghe's profile". Businessweek. Bloomberg.
- "Mathias Burghardt's Profile".
- "Olivier Decannière's Profile".
- "Jérémie Delecourt".
- "Philippe Poletti's Profile".
- "Key figures". Ardian.
- "Ardian acquires Siaci Saint Honore".
- "Ardian acquires 40 stake in Chal-Tec".
- "French Ardian buys German toymaker Schleich". Reuters. 18 May 2014.
- "Deal in Focus: Ardian backs €1.96bn Vinci Park buyout". Unquote. 24 February 2014.
- "Ardian supports Bridgeport's acquisition of The Flexitallic Group". PE HUB. 20 October 2013.
- "AXA Private Equity: why we bought Luton Airport". eFinancial News. 1 August 2013.
- "AXA Private Equiy acquires a stake in Bulkypix to support the company". Finance Monthly. 30 May 2012.
- "AXA Private Equity buys majority of Frostkrone". Market Watch. 1 August 2012.
- "AXA Private Equity soutient le développement de Ceva en structurant un financement additionnel" (in French). Ceva. 30 October 2014.
- "CD&R and its partners AXA Private Equity and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec complete SPIE acquisition". Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec. 31 May 2011.
- "Le voyagiste Odigeo se refinance en attendant son introduction en Bourse". L'Agefi. 11 February 2013.
- "Capital-Investissement AXA Private Equity prend 6% de Bravofly" (in French). Boursier.com. 21 September 2010.
- "Diana sale to AXA Private Equity confirmed". Nutra Ingredients. 6 June 2007.
- "AXA puts Spotless up for sale". Financial Times. 3 February 2010.
- "AXA Private equity wins Keolis". Unquote. 15 November 2006.
- "Axa Private Equity prend le contrôle de Camaïeu". L'Usine Nouvelle (in French). 13 January 2005.
- "SeLoger.com veut asseoir sa place de leader sur internet". L'Agefi (in French). 13 October 2006.
- "Axa Private Equity closes spin-off". Real Deals. 25 March 2013.
- "Ardian Snaps up 1.75bn portfolio from PSERS".
- "Ardian Snags $1.3B Portfolio From GE Capital". The Wall Street Journal. 29 April 2014.
- "OMERS to Sell Fund Commitments to AXA Private Equity". 3 July 2012.
- "Citigroup sells private equity assets to AXA unit". Reuters. 8 June 2011.