A Bell Is a Cup
|A Bell Is a Cup… Until It Is Struck|
|Studio album by Wire|
|Studio||Preußen Tonstudio, Berlin, West Germany|
|Wire studio album chronology|
In 1989, the Trouser Press Record Guide described the album as:
…a stylized set of dreamscapes and consciousness streams… It's arguably Wire's most ruminative album, and while immersion in it won't, as 'Silk Skin Paws' suggests, 'wring your senses' – that's more a job for Chairs Missing – it will twirl your lobes a time or two.
However, in a later edition, Trouser Press held a more critical view, writing:
This is a fallacy… When [Wire's early albums] were released, they were considered more polished than other records at the time. Every record that's been made, the same criticism of being less abrasive has been levelled at it. The abrasion is actually in the content – both lyrics and sound.
Allmusic gave the album a laudatory review, describing the record as:
…arguably Wire's best album and certainly its most accessible… a work of modern rock genius.
All tracks published by Stainless Music.
All songs written and composed by Wire.
|1.||"Silk Skin Paws"|
|2.||"The Finest Drops"|
|3.||"The Queen of Ur and the King of Um"|
|4.||"Free Falling Divisions"|
|5.||"It's a Boy"|
|8.||"Come Back In Two Halves"|
|9.||"Follow the Locust"|
|10.||"A Public Place"|
The CD version appends the following tracks:
|11.||"The Queen of Ur and the King of Um" (alternative version)|
|13.||"Over Theirs" (live)|
- "A Bell Is A Cup… Until It Is Struck". Allmusic. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
-  Archived 2 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "CG: wire". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Green, Jim (1989). "Wire". In Ira A. Robbins. The Trouser Press Record Guide (third ed.). New York: Collier Books. p. 632. ISBN 0-02-036370-2.
- DeRogatis, Jim; Wilson Neate. "Wire". Trouser Press. Trouser Press LLC. Retrieved June 5, 2007.
- Balfour, Brad (August 1988). "Wire". Reflex Magazine 1 (6). p. 33.
|This 1980s punk rock album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|