Abdur Rauf (Arabic: عبد الرؤوف ) is a male Muslim given name. It is built from the Arabic words Abd, al- and Rauf. The name means "servant of the Lenient One", Ar-Ra'ūf being one of the names of God in the Qur'an, which give rise to the Muslim theophoric names.
The letter a of the al- is unstressed, and can be transliterated by almost any vowel, often by u. Because the letter r is a sun letter, the letter l of the al- is assimilated to it. Thus although the name is written in Arabic with letters corresponding to Abd al-Rauf, the usual pronunciation corresponds to Abd ar-Rauf. Alternative transliterations include Abdul Raouf and others, all subject to variable spacing and hyphenation.
It may refer to:
- Abdurrauf Fitrat (1886–1938), Uzbek, cultural modernist active in Soviet Central Asia
- Abdur Rouf Choudhury (1929–1996), Bengali writer
- Abdul Rauf Anjum (1930–1992), Pakistani writer, poet, philosopher and translator
- Abdul-Rauf Khalid, Pakistani filmmaker
Politics / Religion
- Mohammed Yasser Abdel Rahman Abdel Raouf Arafat al-Qudwa al-Husseini, or just Yasser Arafat (1929–2004), Palestinian leader
- Abdul Rauf al-Kasm (born 1932), Syrian politician
- Abdool Raouf Bundhun (born 1937), Vice President of Mauritius
- Abdelraouf al-Rawabdeh (born 1939), Jordanian politician
- Munshi Abdur Rouf (1943–1971), soldier hero in the Bangladesh Liberation War
- Feisal Abdul Rauf (born 1948), Arab-American imam and author
- Rana Abdul Rauf (born 1953), Pakistani politician
- Mahmoud Abdel Rauf al-Mabhouh, or just Mahmoud al-Mabhouh (1960–2010), Palestinian, Hamas military commander
- Abdul Rauff Hibathul Hakeem, or just Rauff Hakeem (born 1960), Sri Lankan politician
- Abderraouf Jdey (born 1965), Tunisian-Canadian accused of terrorism
- Abdul Rauf Omar Mohammed Abu Al Qusin (born 1965), Libyan held in Guantanamo
- Abdul Rauf Khan (born 1969), Pakistani politician
- Abdul Rauf (anti-Taliban cleric), imam at the Herati Mosque in Kabul
- Abdurrauf (Samangan) a delegate to Afghanistan's Constitutional Loya Jirga
- "Mullah" Abdul Rauf Aliza, also known as Abdul Rauf Khadim, a Taliban commander, allegedly tied to ISIS at time of his death
- Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi -- Speaker for Afghanistan's Wolesi Jirga
- Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (formerly Chris Wayne Jackson) (born 1969), American basketball player
- Md Abdur Rouf (born 1974), Bangladeshi kabaddi player
- Abdur Rauf (cricketer) (born 1978), Pakistani cricketer
- Abderraouf Zarabi (born 1979), Algerian footballer
- Ahmed Abdel-Raouf (born 1986), Egyptian footballer
- Salahuddin Ahmed (1999). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. London: Hurst & Company.
- S. A. Rahman (2001). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. New Delhi: Goodword Books.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|