||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2012)|
|Headquarters||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Bart Copeland (CEO)|
|Products||ActivePerl, ActivePython, ActiveTcl, Komodo IDE|
Number of employees
ActiveState is a Canadian software company headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. It develops, sells, and supports cross-platform development tools for dynamic languages such as Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Tcl, as well as language distributions and enterprise services.
ActiveState products include: ActiveState Komodo, an integrated development environment (IDE) for dynamic languages; Perl Dev Kit (PDK) and Tcl Dev Kit (TDK), productivity and deployment tools for Perl and Tcl programmers; and free and commercial language distributions, ActivePerl, ActivePython, and ActiveTcl for AIX, HP-UX, Linux, OS X, Solaris, and Windows.
In October 2006, ActiveState (then a subsidiary of Sophos) was named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, as published in Maclean's magazine, one of only a handful of software developers to receive this honour.
In February 2012, ActiveState announced general availability of Stackato. According to the announcement, Stackato "makes it easy to develop, deploy, migrate, scale, manage, and monitor applications on any cloud", and is available in Enterprise, Micro Cloud, and Sandbox editions.
In December 2012, ActiveState announced the OEM integration of Stackato with HP Cloud Services, specifically the HP Cloud Application Platform as a Service. HP describes the product as “an application platform for development, deployment, and management of cloud applications using any language on any stack". In July 2015, it was announced that HP was acquiring Stackato from ActiveState.
ActiveState is owned by its employees and Pender Financial Group, an investment company focused on technology and healthcare sectors in British Columbia after briefly being a member of the Sophos group.
- "Reasons for Selection, 2007 Canada's Top 100 Employers".
- "ActiveState Unveils Stackato 1.0, the Application Platform for Creating a Private PaaS".
- "ActiveState Announces HP OEM Licensing Agreement for Platform as a Service with Stackato".
- "HP Cloud Application Platform as a Service product page".
- Cohen, Reuven. "HP Unveils Cloud Application Platform Powered by ActiveState". Forbes.
- "HP Buys ActiveState's PaaS, Stackato". InformationWeek.
- ActiveState - Corporate Information - The Dynamic Language Experts