|Adán Chávez Frías|
|Governor of Barinas|
|Preceded by||Hugo de los Reyes Chávez|
|Succeeded by||Argenis Chávez|
|Minister of Education|
|Preceded by||Aristóbulo Istúriz|
|Succeeded by||Héctor Navarro|
April 11, 1953 |
Sabaneta, Barinas, Venezuela
|Political party||United Socialist Party of Venezuela|
|Relations||Hugo de los Reyes Chávez (father)
Elena Frías de Chávez (mother)
Hugo Chávez (brother)
Adán Chávez Frías (born April 11, 1953) is Venezuelan politician who has been Governor of Barinas state since 2008. Previously he was Ambassador to Cuba and then Minister of Education from 2007 to 2008. He is the elder brother of Hugo Chávez, who was President of Venezuela from 1999 to 2013, and of the Mayor of Sabaneta, Barinas, Anibal José Chávez Frías. He has been described as an ultra-leftist.
After Hugo was elected as President, he appointed Adán as Ambassador to Cuba. In August 2006, Adán became Presidential Secretary, replacing Delcy Rodríguez, who reportedly disagreed with Hugo Chávez during his international tour. The Charlotte Observer reported that the author of several books on Chávez, Alberto Garrido, argued: "A much more hard-line phase [of Chávez rule] is beginning and Chávez needs a reliable and radical team around him." In January 2007, Hugo appointed Adán as Minister of Education. In 2008, he was elected as Governor of Barinas as the United Socialist Party of Venezuela candidate, replacing his father Hugo de los Reyes Chávez.
- "Venezuela’s presidency: Brotherly love in the Bolivarian Republic". The Economist. REUTERS. January 12, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- Gunson, Phil, Chávez: Castro sent me a note. The Charlotte Observer (11 August 2006).
- Gregory Wilpert, "Chavez Swears-In New Cabinet for “Venezuelan Path to Socialism”", Venezuelanalysis.com, January 8, 2007.
- "Hugo Chavez's brother among ruling party nominees in Venezuela", Associated Press, June 2, 2008.
- "Treasury Sanctions Eight Individuals Involved in Venezuela’s Illegitimate Constituent Assembly". United States Department of the Treasury. 9 August 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
Hugo de los Reyes Chávez
|Governor of Barinas
|Minister of Education of Venezuela
|This article about a Venezuelan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|