Araújo in 2016
4 November 1981 |
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
|Coached by||Luiz Dórea
Adriana Araújo (Brazilian Portuguese: [adɾiˈãnɐ ɐɾɐˈuʒu]; born 4 November 1981) is a Brazilian lightweight boxer. She won a bronze medal in the 60 kg category at the 2012 Summer Olympics and qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the 60 kg division.
Women's boxing debuted at the 2012 Summer Olympics, with Araújo selected to represent Brazil. She progressed to the semi-finals of the boxing tournament, where she lost on points 17–11 against Sofya Ochigava from Russia. Ochigava was the world's number two and went on to win the silver medal in the event. Araújo was awarded bronze alongside Mavzuna Chorieva from Tajikistan, and became the only competitor from a Latin American country to win a medal in any of the women's boxing events. In addition, it was the first time in 44 years that an athlete from Brazil had won a medal in one of the boxing events.
Araújo was disappointed to have only won bronze, although she looked forward to attending the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but said that she would not be competing as she was planning on turning professional before then. However, she has once again been selected to represent Brazil and felt that competing in her home country would provide a boost to her chances of a gold medal. Brazil had used one of their automatic qualification places as the host country for Araújo, meaning that she did not have to qualify. Shortly prior to the games, Araújo was one of 141 torchbearers on the first day of the Brazilian leg of the 2016 Summer Olympics torch relay.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adriana Araújo (boxer).|
- Adriana Araújo. cob.org.br
- "Adriana Araujo". BBC Sport. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- Adriana Araújo. sports-reference.com
- Adriana Araújo Archived 2016-08-06 at the Wayback Machine.. rio2016.com
- "Brazil's Araujo takes bronze in Olympic boxing". Fox News Latino. 8 August 2012. Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Adriana Araujo: Medals in Women's Lightweight (60kg)". BBC. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Adriana Araújo wins first Brazilian medal in women's boxing in the Olympics". Ministerio do Esporte. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Up Close and Personal with Brazil's Very Own Rio 2016 Gold-Medal Hope, Adriana Araujo". States News Service. 3 May 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Billy Walsh sets USA on their way as all three of his team are fancied to qualify for Rio". The 42. 17 March 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Olympic Torch Relay Begins in Brazil". States News Service. 4 May 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))