||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2013)|
|Traded as||NYSE: HIVE|
|Headquarters||Sunnyvale, California, U.S.|
Number of employees
Aerohive Networks is an American multinational networking company headquartered in Sunnyvale, California with additional offices in the United Kingdom and China.  Founded in 2006, it provides wireless networking to medium-sized and larger businesses. According to CRN Magazine, the company initially "gained notices for its controller-less approach to wireless LAN". In 2012, it was #37 on The Wall Street Journal's list of "Top 50 Start-Ups", selected from a pool of 5,900 United States based companies valued beneath $1 billion and recently involved in equity financing.
In the past several years, the company has been raising funds and expanding, including 2011's acquisition of competitor Pareto Networks, which moved it into cloud management. The period of 2009 to 2012 saw rapid asset expansion, according to the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal experiencing triple-digit growth each year. CRN Magazine noted in November 2012 that it is both "often viewed as another IPO candidate" and potentially a target for a company like HP or Dell to acquire. The company has itself announced its intention to go public in 2013.
Controller-less Wi-Fi: Cooperative Control Architecture
Aerohive developed a controller-less wireless LAN architecture called Cooperative Control, which provides all the performance, availability, management, mobility, and security needed in a large campus deployment, and, with the elimination of controllers in the architecture, is appropriate even in small branch office and warehouse deployments.
This controller-less architecture also enables secure, scalable, high-performance, and mission-critical wireless networking in a manageable and cost-effective way to industries such as education, healthcare, state and local government, manufacturing, distribution, and retail.
Aerohive acquired privately held cloud-based networking vendor, Pareto Networks, in January 2011. Pareto’s cloud-based networking technology was integrated with Aerohive's operating system (HiveOS) and Cloud Services Platform (HiveManager Online), resulting in the BR100 and BR200 branch routing products.
Aerohive most recently received $22.5 million in Mezzanine Equity financing, led by Institutional Venture Partners (IVP), a later-stage venture capital and growth equity firm. Existing investors Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), Lightspeed Venture Partners, New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Northern Light and Four Rivers also participated in the round.
- Ludwig, Sean (September 11, 2012). "Cloud-based networking startup Aerohive Networks readies for IPO with $22.5M funding grab". VentureBeat. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Rao, Leena (March 28, 2011). "Cloud-Based Networking Company Aerohive Networks Raises $25 Million". TechCrunch. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Company Overview of Aerohive Networks, Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Berndston, Chad (November 20, 2012). "Cisco Competitors Say Meraki Move Makes Them More Attractive". CRN Magazine. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Basich, Zoran; Emily Maltby (September 27, 2012). "Looking for the 'Next Big Thing'? Ranking the Top 50 Start-Ups". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "The Daily Start-Up: Aerohive Buzzes With $22.5M Led by IVP Amid Sweet Mobile Connectivity Demand". Wall Street Journal. September 12, 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Ward, Lisa (September 6, 2012). "The Funded: Aerohive Networks". San Jose Business Journal. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Shawber, Gloria Wang (October 12, 2012). "Fast Private: Aerohive is all the buzz with Wi-Fi solutions". Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Berndtson, Chad (Aug 5, 2012). "Aerohive Gains Partners, And Finally, A Buzz In WLAN Channel". CRN. Retrieved Oct 31, 2012.
- Graychase, Naomi (Apr 21, 2008). "Aerohive Announces New 802.11n Portfolio". Wi Fi Planet. Retrieved Oct 31, 2012.