Aetna Springs, California
Aetna Springs Resort
|Elevation||771 ft (235 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1659686|
Aetna Springs Resort
The Aetna Springs Resort is located in Aetna Springs and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The resort and spa originally developed by Len D. Owens, Frances Marion's father in the 1870s and quickly became a popular summertime destination for vacationers from San Francisco and Hollywood. One of the first golf courses west of the Mississippi River was built on the resort's property in 1891. In 1966 Ronald Reagan announced his intention to run for the office of Governor of California in the dining hall at the resort.
On June 9, 2009 it was announced that the Aetna Springs Resort would close. Snell Valley lies to the north of Aetna Springs. In early 2012 the Napa County Planning Commission approved plans to renovate existing 28 structures and build a new lodge on the property. The resort property was sold to Alchemy Resorts in 2018.
- "Aetna Springs, California". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Gudde, Erwin; William Bright (2004). California Place Names (Fourth ed.). University of California Press. p. 3. ISBN 0-520-24217-3.
- "Hennessey Fire Information". CAL FIRE. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Jensen, Peter (February 6, 2012). "A grand 19th-century resort to be reborn in Pope Valley". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Jensen, Peter (April 19, 2014). "Aetna Springs Resort developers seek financing for revival". Napa Valley Register. Napa, CA: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- Jones, Jillian (2009-06-10). "Aetna Springs to close". Napa Valley Register. Archived from the original on 12 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Jensen, Peter (January 20, 2012). "Planners approve Aetna Springs project". Napa Valley Register. Napa, CA: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved January 20, 2012.
- Eberling, Barry (December 20, 2018). "Napa County's famed Aetna Springs has new owner with resort plans". Napa Valley Register. Napa, CA: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "California's 5th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood, Cari Beauchamp, University of California Press, 1997.