Afritz am See
|Afritz am See|
|• Mayor||Maximilian Linder (FPÖ)|
|• Total||28.03 km2 (10.82 sq mi)|
|Elevation||711 m (2,333 ft)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||51/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The name Afritz is ultimately derived from the Slovene prepositional phrase za brdce 'behind the small hill'. The Slovene phrase fused to yield *Zabrdce, which was borrowed into Middle High German as *Zafriz (from which, in turn, Cobrc was borrowed back into Slovene). The initial z- was misunderstood as the Middle High German preposition ze 'at', yielding the modern German decomposition Afritz.
It is located within the Gegend Valley surrounded by the Nock Mountains, the western part of the Gurktal Alps mountain range, on the southern shore of small Afritzer See (Lake Afritz). The municipal area comprises the cadastral communities of Afritz and Berg ob Afritz.
In 1973 the municipality merged with neighbouring Feld am See, but since 1991 has again been a municipality in its own right. The appendix am See was added in 2000, mainly for tourist reasons, though officially Lake Afritz belongs to the municipal area of Feld am See.
Seats in the municipal assembly (Gemeinderat) as of 2009 elections:
- Freedom Party in Carinthia (FPÖ): 9
- Social Democratic Party of Austria (SPÖ): 4
- Austrian People's Party (ÖVP): 2
- Statistik Austria - Bevölkerung zu Jahresbeginn 2002-2016 nach Gemeinden (Gebietsstand 1.1.2016) for Afritz am See.
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, p. 91.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Afritz.|