|Studio album by Katy Garbi|
|Released||December 22, 2008|
|Genre||Modern Laika, Pop|
|Label||Sony BMG Greece/Columbia|
|Katy Garbi chronology|
|Katy Garbi studio album chronology|
|Singles from Kainourgia Ego|
Kainourgia Ego (Greek: Καινούργια Εγώ; English: A new me) is the sixteenth studio album by Greek artist Katy Garbi. It was released on December 22, 2008 by Sony BMG Greece and also is her first studio album since the 2006 release of Pos Allazei O Kairos. The album was supposed to be re-released with additional tracks, however, Garbi decided to release another full studio album instead.
In mid-2008, it was announced that Katy Garbi was in the studio recording songs for a summer CD single and it would be a precursor to an album to be released in the fall. She stated that she would be returning to the pop music of her past and that the writer of all songs would be Pegasos. By October, everything had changed with no CD single released and with the announcement of Nikos Antipas taking on the role of composer on the album.
The album, titled Kainourgia Ego, will be a new approach by presenting a different Katy Garbi as justified by the title, which translates into "a new me". Garbi stated in an interview on Mega Channel's Mega Star that the album "is one of my greatest musical collaborations, with Nikos Antipas; everybody knows who he is, and with his experience, great work and enthusiasm, we have greatly increased the strength of this latest work, which will present a completely refreshed, new and desirable Katy Garbi and the end result will be nothing short of a success, I guarantee you!! (translated)"
The album was released in Greece and Cyprus on December 22, 2008 and serves as the return of new material for Katy Garbi after two years following her 2006 release of Pos Allazei O Kairos. Succeeding her 2007 two-disc live album 18 Hronia Live, the 10-track album Kainourgia Ego will be Garbi's final release on her current contract with Sony BMG, which in total has spanned 19 years as of 2008. It was originally planned for the album to be re-released with additional tracks, however, Garbi decided on releasing a full-length studio album instead.
The promotion of 'Kainourgia Ego' began in November 2008 as Garbi kicked off the winter season at Club Enastron with the first single of the album Afto Aksizo prior to its release. Within a month of its release, Alpha TV began airing a 20-second promotional spot of the album during its morning time slot showcasing various songs. Large promotional banners were erected outside of select Metropolis music stores nationwide informing of the album's release.
With the first music video "Kainourgia Ego" premiering on MAD TV, the music channel's website www.mad.tv and its affiliate the Katy Garbi official fanclub Garbofans.gr held a competition where members would compete by recreating the new album's cover art using selected images from its official artwork for a chance at winning a selection of albums from Garbi's discography.
|Kainourgia Ego Track Listing|
|1.||"Kainourgia Ego (feat. Thirio)" (Καινούργια εγώ; A New Me)||GML, Thirio (Giorgos Drakoulias)||Nikos Antipas||3:40|
|2.||"Efiga" (I Have Gone; Έφυγα)||Rebecca Roussi||Nikos Antipas||3:35|
|3.||"An M'Agapas" (If You Love Me; Αν μ' αγαπάς)||Viki Gerothodorou||Nikos Antipas||3:17|
|4.||"S'agapo Se Miso" (Σ' αγαπώ, σε μισώ; I Love You, I Hate You)||GML||Nikos Antipas||3:44|
|5.||"Ego Tha Sou Grafo" (Εγώ θα σου γράφω; I'll Be Writing To You)||Viki Gerothodorou||Nikos Antipas||3:20|
|6.||"Antipaloi Se Duo Stratopeda" (Αντίπαλοι σε δύο στρατόπεδα; Opponents in Two Camps)||Rebecca Roussi||Nikos Antipas||2:50|
|7.||"Stin Kolasi Kalitera" (Στην κόλαση καλύτερα; Better in Hell)||GML||Nikos Antipas||2:52|
|8.||"Me Pio Antallagma" (Με ποιο αντάλλαγμα; With What in Exchange)||Viki Gerothodorou||Nikos Antipas||3:52|
|9.||"Me Ti Psihi" (Με τι ψυχή; With What Kind Of Guts)||Rebecca Roussi||Nikos Antipas||3:04|
|10.||"Afto Aksizo" (Αυτό αξίζω; I Deserve This)||GML||Nikos Antipas||3:16|
- "Afto Aksizo" is lead single of the album. The song, a slow Zeibekiko, was presented by Garbi at Enastron Music Hall on November 14, 2008 during her premiere with Notis Sfakianakis; the two will perform live at Enastron for the winter 2008–2009 season. Even though there were no plans to re-promote the first single "Afto Aksizo", Sony BMG Greece released a studio video of "Afto Aksizo" onto their Katy Garbi YouTube channel three weeks after the release of the second single "Kainourgia Ego" as a result of its continued success on the radio charts.
- The second single is the title track of the album "Kainourgia Ego" and is a collaboration with Greek rapper Thirio. It was the first single to be made into a music video and is also John Mitropoulos' first music video as director. Mitropoulos is also the album's photographer. A "making of" preview was made available by MAD TV on January 19, 2009. The music video premiered on an episode of Alpha TV's Mad And The City, and was distributed to all television networks shortly thereafter.
"S'agapo Se Miso"
- Announced nearly two months after the release of the second single, "S'agapo Se Miso" was officially proclaimed third and upcoming single from the album. The dance oriented song will be released as a radio single. In a radio interview on March 26 on Grevena Radio (Greece), Garbi stated that her third single, "S'agapo Se Miso" will also be released in remix form when it is officially issued to radio stations. On June 8, Garbi's birthday, "S'agapo Se Miso (Remix)" was released to all radio stations across Greece.
|Greece||December 22, 2008||Sony BMG, Columbia||CD|
|Worldwide||January 5, 2009||Digital download|
"Kainourgia Ego" debuted on Greek album charts at number nineteen. During its second week it moved up eight spots, placing it at number 11. It finally managed to top the chart in the second week of January 2009, and became Garbi's latest release to peak at top position on the charts.
|Weeks On Charts||Certification|
|Greek Albums Chart||IFPI||1||7||-|
- Η Καίτη Γαρμπή στο στούντιο... (in Greek). Music.net.cy. 2008-06-04. Archived from the original on 2008-12-12. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- Δυσαρεστημένη φαίνεται πως είναι η Καίτη Γαρμπή... (in Greek). Music.net.cy. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- Με μια μεγάλη συνεργασία επιστρέφει δισκογραφικά η Καίτη μας! (in Greek). Music.net.cy. 2008-10-16. Archived from the original on 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- Katy Garbi - Mega Star Interview (2008-11-30). Mega Channel. Retrieved on 2008-12-10
- Η "καινούργια" Καίτη κυκλοφορεί σήμερα (in Greek). MAD TV. 2008-12-22. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "Το δυναμικό comeback της Καίτης Γαρμπή.." (in Greek). Music.net.cy. 2008-06-30. Archived from the original on 2008-07-09. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- Staff (February 9, 2010). Η Καίτη Γαρμπή μιλάει για όλα! (in Greek). MAD TV. Archived from the original on October 2, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2010.
- Αυτό αξίζει η Καίτη! (in Greek). Mad Tv Greece. 2008-11-13. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- "ΚΑΙΤΗ ΓΑΡΜΠΗ @ MAD" (in Greek). Mad Tv Greece. 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- Αυτό αξίζει η Καίτη! (in Greek). MAD TV. 2008-12-12. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- Panayides, Panayiotis (2008-11-13). "Katy Garbi (1993) to perform live her new song". Oikotimes. Archived from the original on 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
- Καίτη Γαρμπή - Αυτό Αξίζω! (in Greek). Sony BMG(Greece). 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- "Όλες οι πληροφορίες για το νέο album της Καίτης" (in Greek). MAD TV. 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Καίτη Γαρμπή "Καινούργια Εγώ" (Making Of)" (in Greek). MAD TV. 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- ΜΙΚΡΑ... ΜΙΚΡΑ... ΜΙΚΡΑ... ΜΙΚΡΑ...! (in Greek). Music Corner (Greece). 2008-01-26. Retrieved 2008-01-26.
- "Top 50 Ελληνικών Aλμπουμ: Εβδομάδα 53/2008" (in Greek). IFPI. 2009-01-12. Archived from the original on 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Top 50 Ελληνικών Aλμπουμ: Εβδομάδα 1/2009" (in Greek). IFPI. 2009-01-19. Archived from the original on 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Top 50 Ελληνικών Aλμπουμ: Εβδομάδα 2/2009" (in Greek). IFPI. 2009-01-26. Archived from the original on 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2009-01-26.