|Municipality and town|
|Claimed by|| Kingdom of Morocco,
Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
|Controlled by||Sahrawi Republic|
|Elevation||306 m (1,004 ft)|
Agounit (also transliterated Aghounit, Aghoueinit, Agueinit, Agwenit, Agwanit, Agüenit, Aguanit; Arabic: أغوانيت) is a small town or village in the Río de Oro area of Western Sahara. It is to the east of the Moroccan Wall, thus included in the Polisario Front-held Free Zone of Western Sahara, under the jurisdiction of the Sahrawi Republic, and near the Mauritanian border, 72 km. south-west from Fderik. It has a hospital, a school and a mosque. It is the head of the 7th military region of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
On June 7, 2006, and during the celebrations of the 30th anniversary of the "Day of the Martyr" (commemorating the death in combat of El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed, first president of the SADR), Mohamed Abdelaziz (president of the SADR) inaugurated a hospital (built up with help from the Basque country government), a desalination centre (built with the help of Andalusia government), a school and the Mayoralty of Agwenit.
Twin towns and sister cities
Agounit is twinned with:
- "Inauguration of many social projects in Aghoueinit.". SPS. 11 June 2006. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Il n'y a pas d'autre alternative a l'Independance du peuple Sahraoui, declare le President Mohamed Abdelaziz." (in French). SPS. 2000-05-21. Archived from the original on 1 December 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Opening of the annual conference of the Saharawi communities abroad". SPS. 8 June 2006. Archived from the original on 2 December 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Aytº de Amurrio (Álava)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Aytº de Busturia (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Gemellaggi e Patti di Amicizia Regione Toscana - Consiglio Regionale, 27 March 2010 (Italian)
- "Aytº de Gatika (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Aytº de Lapuebla de Labarca (Álava)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Aytº de Mallabia (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Solidarietà per il Popolo Saharawi Comune.poggio-a-caiano.po.it (Italian)
- PATTO DI AMICIZIA CON LA TENDOPOLI DI AGUENIT NELLA REPUBBLICA ARABA DEMOCRATICA SAHARAWI Comune.portoferraio.li.it, 2 August 2004 (Italian)
- Amigos del Pueblo Saharaui Archived April 12, 2013, at Archive.is Trescantos.es (Spanish)
||Auserd||Oum Dreiga||Fderik, Mauritania|
|Zug||Choum, Mauritania||Ouadane, Mauritania|