Ah Muzen Cab[pronunciation?] is one of the Maya gods of bees and honey. He is possibly the same figure as "the Descending God" or "the Diving God" and is consistently depicted upside-down. The Temple of the Descending God is located in Tulum. The bees used by the ancient Maya were Melipona beecheii and Melipona yucatanica, species of stingless bee.
He makes an appearance as a playable god in the 2014 free-to-play multiplayer online battle arena video game Smite as part of the Mayan pantheon. However, he is portrayed as a bee manipulator who attacks with swarms, despite being a god of stingless bees in the original myth.
- Bee (mythology)
- Aristaeus -- Ancient Greek god of bees.
- Austėja -- Lithuanian—goddess of bees.
- Bhramari -- Hindu goddess of bees.
- Bubilas -- Lithuanian—god of bees.
- Colel Cab -- Mayan goddess of bees.
- Melissa -- Ancient Greek/Minoan—goddess of bees.
- Mellona -- Roman goddess of bees.
- Milbrath, Susan (1999). Star Gods of the Maya: Astronomy in Art, Folklore, and Calendars. The Linda Schele series in Maya and pre-Columbian studies. Austin: University of Texas Press. ISBN 0-292-75225-3. OCLC 40848420.
- Taube, Karl A. (1993). Aztec and Maya Myths (4th University of Texas printing ed.). Austin: University of Texas Press. ISBN 0-292-78130-X. OCLC 29124568.
|This article relating to a myth or legend from Mesoamerica is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bee-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|