Leroy Bland began performing at age 13 in his native New York City. By the 1970s he was performing in New York's loft scene, and joined the Sun Ra Arkestra in 1976, working there on and off until 1993, when Sun Ra died. During that time Abdullah participated in more than 25 recordings and traveled extensively with Sun Ra.
- WildFlower Compilation CD-Abdullah-Blue Phase with Charles Brackeen, 1976
- Live at Ali's Alley (Cadence, recorded 1978) released 1980 with Chico Freeman
- Life's Force (About Time, 1979) with Vincent Chancey, Jay Hoggard
- Liquid Magic (Silkheart, 1987) with Charles Brackeen, Malachi Favors
- Ahmed Abdullah and the Solomonic Quintet (Silkheart) with Charles Moffett, David S. Ware and Fred Hopkins
- Dedication (CIMP, 1997) with Carlos Ward and Alex Blake
- Actual Proof NAM (CIMP, 1999)
- Song of Time, NAM, Live at the Vision Festival, 2001 (Clean Feed, 2004)
- Traveling the Spaceways (Planet Arts, 2004)
- Tara's Song (TUM, 2005) with Billy Bang and Alex Harding
With Sun Ra
- A Quiet Place in the Universe (Leo, 1976/77)
- Destination Unknown (Enja)
- Somewhere Else (Rounder, 1988–89)
- Mayan Temples (Black Saint, 1990)
With Arthur Blythe
With Billy Bang
With Dennis González
- Namesake (Silkheart, 1987)
- Profile Allmusic.com; accessed April 2, 2015.
- Ahmed Abdullah with Louis Reyes Rivera. "Excerpts from A Strange Celestial Road (Traveling the Spaceways)", ahmedian.com; accessed March 28, 2015.