Aino (given name)
The Aino tryptych by Akseli Gallen-Kallela.
Aino is a female given name used in Finland and Estonia. The name Aino, meaning "the only one" in Finnish, was invented by Elias Lönnrot, who composed the Kalevala. In this epic poem, Aino (mythology) is a beautiful girl who drowns herself rather than marry the elderly Väinämöinen. In the original poems, she is mentioned as "the only daughter" (aino tyttö).
During the national romantic period at the end of the 19th century the mythological name Aino was adopted as a Christian name by Fennoman activists. Among the first to be named so were Aino Järnefelt (Aino Sibelius), born 1871 and Aino Krohn (the later Aino Kallas), born 1878.
According to the Finnish Population Register Centre, over 60,000 women have been given the name. It was especially popular in the early 20th century, and the most common first name for women in the 1920s. It has returned to favor in the 21st century; it has been the most popular name for girls born in Finland for the past five years.
- Aino Aalto (1894–1949), Finnish architect and designer
- Aino Ackté (1876–1944), Finnish opera singer
- Aino Bergö (1915-1944), Swedish ballerina, opera singer and film actress
- Aino Jawo (born 1986), member of Swedish pop duo Icona Pop
- Aino Kallas (1878–1956), Finnish-Estonian writer
- Aino Kallunki, Finnish biathlete
- Aino Kishi (born 1988), Japanese actress and AV idol
- Aino Kukk (1930-2006), Estonian chess player
- Aino Kuusinen (1886–1970), Finnish communist
- Aino-Maija Luukkonen (born 1958), Finnish politician
- Aino Malmberg (1865–1933), Finnish writer and politician
- Aino Mantsas (1922-1979), Finnish actress
- Aino Nykopp-Koski, Finnish serial killer
- Aino Pervik (born 1932), Estonian children's writer
- Aino-Kaisa Saarinen (born 1979), Finnish cross country skier
- Aino Seep (1925–1982), Estonian singer and actress
- Aino Seppo (born 1958), Finnish actress
- Aino Sibelius (1871–1969), wife of composer Jean Sibelius
- Aino Talvi (1909-1992), Estonian actress
- Aino Taube (1912-1990), Swedish film and theatre actress
- Aino-Maija Tikkanen (born 1927), Finnish film actress
- Behind the Name
- Helsingin Sanomat, October 16, 2007.Aino and Eetu top list of most popular children's names. Retrieved February 10, 2008.