This painting by Pierre-Cécile Puvis de Chavannes depicts an aisling.
|Meaning||aisling, meaning a "dream", a "vision"|
|Look up Aisling in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Aisling is an Irish language feminine given name meaning "dream" or "vision" and referring to an aisling, a poetic genre that developed during the late 17th and 18th century in Irish language genre poetry. Aisling was not used as a given name before the 20th century.
There are many variant forms of the name, including Ashling, Aislin and Aislinn. Pronunciation of the name also varies, with the most common pronunciation being // ASH-ling; other forms acceptable to Irish speakers are // ASH-lin and // ASH-leen. Others, such as // AYZ-ling, // ASS-ling and // AYSS-ling, do not follow the Gaelic pronunciation.
The name Aisling was the thirty-first most popular name for baby girls in Ireland in 2005. Ashlyn was the 140th most popular name for baby girls in the United States in 2006, while its variant spelling Ashlynn was ranked at 293 for baby girls in 2006 in the United States. Ashlyn is also occasionally regarded as a modern name derivation from Ashley and Lynn.
- Aislin, the pen name of Canadian political cartoonist Terry Mosher (born 1942)
- Aisling Bea (born 1984), Irish comedian
- Ashlynn Brooke (born 1985), American adult actress/producer
- Aisling Burnand, British businesswoman and lobbyist
- Aisling Daly (born 1987), Irish mixed martial arts fighter
- Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace (born 1978), British glamour model and former Big Brother contestant
- Ashlyne Huff, American singer
- Aislinn Hunter, Canadian writer
- Aisling Loftus, English actress of Irish parentage
- Aislín McGuckin (born 1974), Northern-Irish actress
- Aisling O'Sullivan (born 1968), Irish actress
- Aislinn Paul (born 1994), Canadian actress
- Aisling Symes (2007–2009), New Zealand
- Ashlynn Yennie, American actress
- Aisling, the main character in the novel Ash by Malinda Lo
- Aisling Grey in Katie MacAlister's Guardian series
- Aisling, a Fey character in Laurell K. Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series
- Aislinn of Darkenwald in Kathleen E. Woodiwiss's novel Wolf and the Dove
- Aisling, a young faerie girl, in the animated film The Secret of Kells
- Aislinn, the main character in Melissa Marr's novel Wicked Lovely
- Aisling 'Ash' McCarthy, one of the two main characters in Ali Smith's debut novel Like
- Aisling in the Irish animated TV programme Ballybraddan
- Aisling in Juliet Marillier's novel Son of the Shadows, second book of her Sevenwaters trilogy
- Aisling, the YA fantasy series by Carole Cummings
- Ashlynn in the video game Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (named Barubara in the Japanese version)
- Aisling, aspiring film director in Stones in His Pockets, a play by Marie Jones
- Aisling O'Connor, a main character in the novel Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy
- Aisling in the song of that name by Shane MacGowan, on his 1994 album The Snake
- Ashling Kennedy, a main character in the novel Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes
- Aisling Kopp, a character in the Endgame novel series by James Frey.
- Aesling the Neck Stabber in The Third Wheel's series Thrilling Intent.
- Aisling at Behind the Name
- Ashlyn at Behind the Name
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|