The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for academics. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alan M Strauss-Schom is an American-born historian and biographer, born in Sterling, Illinois, in 1941. He attended Beverly Hills High School and received an A.B. in French/ European History from University of California, Berkeley, a Ph.D at Durham University (England), School of Oriental Studies. He taught French and Modern European History at Southern Connecticut State University and at the University of California, Riverside. He served as the President and Founder of the French Colonial Historical Society (1974–76), and founded its research journal, French Colonial Studies. He was a research fellow at the Hoover Institution in 1984. In 1997 prepared two published reports for the Simon Wiesenthal Centre (Los Angeles) on the actions of the Swiss Government to prevent Jewish refugees during World War II from entering or residing in that country. These reports are available from the Simon Wiesenthal Centre. He gave three international press conferences in 1998 on these reports: in Los Angeles, New York City and Paris. He has given interviews over the BBC, Radio France, ABC, CBS, and NBC, and in several newspapers. Dr Strauss-Schom has given public lectures across the United States and Europe, e.g., University of California, Berkeley, Santa Barbara and Riverside, University of Georgia, American Historical Association, French Colonial Historical Society, Université de Laval, Canada, University Club (Portland, Oregon), Dartmouth College, School of Oriental and African Studies in London, and The School of Oriental Studies, Durham University, the New University of Louvain (Belgium), guest lectures at Oxford University, etc.
- Lyautey in Morocco, Protectorate Administration 1912-1925 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1970). E-Book, Endeavour Press.
- Emil Zola, A Biography (New York: Henry Holt, 1987)., E-Book, Endeavour Press.
- Trafalgar, Countdown to Battle, 1803-1805 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1990 and London, Penguin Books). [paperback], E-Book, Endeavour Press
- One Hundred Days, Napoleon's Road to Waterloo (New York: Oxford University Press, 1993 and London: Penguin Books). [paperback], E-book, Endeavour Press.
- Napoleon Bonaparte, A Biography (New York: Harper Collins, 1997).E-Book, Endeavour Press
- The Eagle and the Rising Sun—The Japanese-American War, 1941-1943 (NY: WW Norton, 2005)
- The Shadow Emperor: A Biography of Napoleon III (US edition: St. Martin's Press, 2018 / UK edition: Amberley, 2018)
The author (above)